Who keeps bees on an allotment?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been offered an area on an allotment to keep some of my bees. On the edge against a row of trees.
Allotment worries me but I don't want to turn it down as always good to have another site in case all goes wrong at my other one.
What do others do who keep theirs on an allotment? Screening?
Any information would be helpful

I have an allotment and the allotments manager keeps asking me when I'm going to bring a hive down ... even has a space set aside where it could be located but ... some horror, it could be anything from a gnat to a bumble ... but you will get the blame for sure and then there will be the complaints, and the council inspection and the inevitable inquest - can you really be bothered ?

I have an allotment and the allotments manager keeps asking me when I'm going to bring a hive down ... even has a space set aside where it could be located but ... some horror, it could be anything from a gnat to a bumble ... but you will get the blame for sure and then there will be the complaints, and the council inspection and the inevitable inquest - can you really be bothered ?

Hmmm I did think all what you have said, even though the council have given approval. If I go head it will only be one until I can access how its going.
Just trying to keep all my options open.

Hmmm I did think all what you have said, even though the council have given approval. If I go head it will only be one until I can access how its going.
Just trying to keep all my options open.

From the point of view of having somewhere you could use it's great - and I keep dangling my allotment manager along for just the same reason and next year I might try it with a small colony ... and a gentle one ,... but I think the prospect of a large well developed and potentially lively hive amongst a lot of allotment holders would be a recipe for being asked to remove them ... could be a good nursery site though ?

It very much depends on the site. Some allotments are large and with a plot in the corner of the site the hive could be at least 20m from the nearest plot. A little bit of common sense like not inspecting when your neighbours are on site and all would be fine. Other sites are much smaller with small plots that would be wholly unsuitable. Many people do keep bees on allotments successfully, it can be done.

I have 3 national hives on my allotment. Have them by a row of trees and screened on 3 sides by netting, 7ft high so be have to take of and rise above head hight. all the other allotment holders have no problem with me keeping them. we all had a bumper crop last year. i just let them know when i am going to inspect, just as a precaution.

I just last week hived my newly purchased Nuc on our newly opened Apiary site.

Council located it up under ( I know ! ) leylandii trees, does not get morning sun( I know ! ).

Anyway it's a start, on the plus side it's at the top end of the site slightly elevated to avoid frost pockets. The council erected a 12' screen in front of the hives which is too high, but again it's a start.

Yes, as mentioned there are the naysayers , " bees are wiping out our native Bumblebees " " don't want them here " etc etc though the majority of course are happy to see the hives.

Myself, I am in negotiations to get another site, as general wisdom says I have researched, that siting hives close to other bee keepers can lead to its own problems, with differing management regimes.

Important that you get a docile strain of bees, mine are great, soon as I close up after a gentle brush down and a couple of ones who are peed off buzzing around me they quickly go back about their business and do not follow me away from the site

I keep my bee's on my allotment, always have. Everyone there loves them. In fact, before my bee's even arrived people were approaching me saying they were planting this and that in anticipation of them getting there.
I have put them inside an 'enclosure.' This is a wooden frame 5x5m and about 7ft tall. The bee's come and go and don't seem bothered by anyone.
I have to say though i am incredibly lucky as everyone is really supportive. The allotment manager emailed everyone before asking if anyone had objections and the deal was if anyone did then i couldn't keep them there.

I have received so much support I'm thinking of creating a community hive so everyone can have a go.

I have been offered an area on an allotment to keep some of my bees. On the edge against a row of trees.
Allotment worries me but I don't want to turn it down as always good to have another site in case all goes wrong at my other one.

I have three sites on allotment sites. What you have to do to secure the bees and screen them from people is down to the site and its requirements. Try and work with what’s natural and remember the plot holders have to look at the apiary and something slightly more favourable on the eye goes a long way to keeping the peace.

All of my three sites are different and the last one, the fully screened job, was requested by the people who run the allotment site, as it is a nice site I was happy to put in the work and I also had the gate.

What’s important to me is securing the hives to the stands to reduce vandalism and I bury the hive stands eight to ten inches into the ground and then a ratchet strap round the hive and stand.

If you are not paying for the space, then you may even have to put up with sharing the apiary with someone who decides after all your hard work that they would like to keep bees in the apiary.

...What do others do who keep theirs on an allotment? Screening?...
Allotments around here in the London suburbs are where many of us keep our bees. In general the council and allotment holders are supportive, msny of the regular allotmenteers ask about how the bees are doing. Having bees around is part of the gardening cycle, good for plums and tree fruit in spring, currents, strawberry and raspberry. Various beans, squashes and other veg, even seeds kept from some flowers

There are precautions, most hives are on a plot or rough edge of the allotments away from the entrance or area where there's a lot of traffic. Backing up to railway lines or scrub is often a good place. It's expected by the council that anybody with hives will be members of the local association. I'm not sure if it's absolutely required, but aside from the third party insurance, it means there are experienced beekeepers that can help. Swarming or aggressive bees are also expected to be dealt with. It's also convenient for the council if they have regular contacts for sites if there are problems or maintenance such as refencing.

Some sites are screened, fences and hedges or debris netting. Some just rely on some separation, some use partial concealment among scrubby plums or other bushes. One side that does have to be considered is occasional vandalism or theft. If not screens or fences then strapping down hives to heavy bases can head off a few prods from the young.

And while I remember, it's better if you can time anything disruptive away from when most allotment activity is taking place. That's probably late morning or early afternoon at weekends or Bank Holidays. As an emergency contact coupled with basic theft deterrence I write a mobile phone number under the roof and elsewhere inside, and less exposed places outside, boxes.

Last edited:
I think one also has to start from a standpoint which would be frustrating to some beekeepers - I and the bees are guests on the allotments, dependent on good behaviour - even though I pay rent - so I have to fit my beekeeping round that. Got a clever plan for splitting a colony and only got tomorrow afternoon to do it? Get down there and find plot next door has the grandchildren there? The only thing to do is take a deep breath and hope the kids aren't there next week. No manoeuvres on weekends. Keep in mind that if they ever turned really nasty and one doesn't have a friend with an apiary a few miles away then it really might be neccessary to put petrol in. But in the meantime, people really appreciate the good pollination and come and photograph swarms!
Mel

Have kept all my hives on allotment for 5 years. At first council took a lot of persuading but now bring the Britain in bloom judges to look at bees every year. I worked out the siting very carefully. Other plot holders are very happy, they report getting more beans, and buy lots of honey. Got a few remarks last year when I had two aggressive colonies, but requeened one and petrol for other and things soon settled. Site so good I can inspect at any time. Do bear security in mind too.

I have four hives on my allotment. I have 6 foot netting on the boundary fence and 4 foot netting around the hives. All my allotment neighbours are happy that I keep bee's and have even helped me with the couple of swarms I've had this year.

This year, I have been allowed to place a bait hive on a small spare patch of land in a well secured group of 6 allotments.

No swarms so far. I'll have to see how it goes.

Requests at 2 other allotment groups got a no.

Last edited:
allotments

hi got a few of my bees on my allotment had them there a few weeks now only thing is on Saturdays man in next plot bring his grandchildren up for a few hour just scared they might get stung , have found a Apiary to put them on but only problem with that its on a farmers field which is great but its got a long drive down to it with tractor track and when I went to have a look at it the bottom of car was scraping on floor just don't know what to do have it or not denise

Currently have eight colonies on my site, in centre of a large stand of wild cherries. Cause no problem and centre of interest for all allotmenteers. canal cutting at rear of site, railway cutting half mile away. large cemetry nearby and tree lined streets all around. Get good crops of honey, I'm happy.

Latest posts

Back