Who has already started feeding their bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you started feeding your hive(s)

• Yes

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • No, but I plant to soon

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • No, and I do not intend to

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
Hi

I think the point most are trying to get at is fondant is best fed so that it is in contact with the cluster.

If you are lucky enough to have a large cluster, or can locate the feedwhole/escape over the cluster why not.

Regards Ian

I see what you mean, but say if i placed the fondant onto the frames, used an eke and then placed the CB on, would they not fill the gap with comb, or do they not do this in winter ?

I think a lot depends on the type of bee you have also, as have there not been reported losses where bees have starved literally cm from frames full of stores ?

I tried to make this as clear as I could and seemingly failed.

"If feeding fondant it might be better to puff some smoke, put block on top bars, add an empty super and cover block with a blanket or insulation of some sort. Add cb and roof. Personally of course I would have a block of insulation over the cb as well."

2nd attempt.

If feeding fondant. Clear the bees with smoke from the top bars. Place block of fondant on the top bars. Place an empty super on. Fill the space left between the fondant and super with insulation. Replace Crown board. Put insulation on top of Crown Board to cover whole to keep warm and especially to block that damn silly hole that so many have to no point at all. ;)

As for the bees filling it with comb? Umm unlikely given that the bees are clustering with cold.

As for dying inches from stores how very true. However the cluster is MORE ABLE to reach UP for stores than to move over a comb.

HENCE my suggestion that the fondant is WHERE it is REACHABLE/GET-ATABLE. Namely on the top bars and not in the "Attic".

PH (who has never fed fondant and gave up on candy donkeys ago)

BUT who feeds syrup ad lib until the bees stop taking it and also gets some nice foundation drawn out at the same time... ;)

don't worry sweetums, i feed mine the same as you. my fondant is placed in shallow clear plastic containers upside down on the crownboard. a 50mm eke gives the space and i can monitor the uptake, or should that be downtake without disturbing the bees.

mike

Each to their own - theres usually a noticeable difference in temperature between the midlands and the south coast, so i dont expect the bees behave the same anyway.

When did you start feeding up your way Mike ?

Look at link below, if the cluster is directly under the feed hole,and also early in autumn,then on top of feed hole is fine,but with small clusters then directly on top of cluster on excluder or polythene is best as bee's will not break cluster in cold weather and can die of food isolation starvation,even though the box may be quite full of stores.I have fed nothing but fondant for the last six years,but its not a new thing,brother columban (brother adams boss) of buckfast abbey was feeding bee's with dry combs, on nothing but fondant over winter in 1912, and they did well.

http://hirschbachapiary.com/Feeding_bees_with_Fondant.aspx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back