Who breaks 'the rules' then?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes sky you're right i always have a quick gander first just to see how they are behaving

I'm lucky that my bees are in the garden, and so with time, I am beginning to get a feel for thier mood - so if they are want to be left alone, we take note and go away. We 'suit-up' whenever we open the hive, but often sit enjoying a coffee (in shorts and t-shirt) only a couple of meters away from the hive to watch them coming and going.

As for the rules - I'm sure we're breaking hundreds of them - can't know them all - and I don't think thr bees have read all the books either.

I'm new, so try not to break too many of the 'rules' at the moment but assume that will change with experience :) I figure that a lot of them are there to prevent newbies like me behaving like complete idiots :D

At the moment, the only thing I really do against conventional wisdom of experienced beeks at my BKA is not use the smoker on my bees. I have it nearby but they seem to behave better with a water mister (they are really unhappy with being smoked, so I have it lit more for covering sting pheromone (though haven't needed too often it for this :hurray: (touch wood, fingers crossed!)))

Ellem
I have just examined 5 of my six hives. Nice sunny day, 17-18C.
I had a smoker going and never used it once. I used my sugar solution spray about 10 times to push bees back between the top bars.

Working with bees was like this last year in the summer...so it can be done..
Our Association apiary , however. has some bees I would not wish to examine without a smoker, .. and wellies and marigolds...

Having said the above, I did check my zips and velcro fasteners twice - as usual.

Last week an adventurous bee started climbing up my trouser leg (no wellies).. fortunately I caught it just in time to prevent a potential sting in a very sensitive area:willy_nilly:

:iagree:
A lot of the "rules" are sound guidance for beginners.

When people feel a bit more confident, and that can take years for some, then the boundaries can be challenged.

There are some rules which are safer for them with but one or two colonies to keep too, and some which I now frankly drive a coach and horses through.

However do bear in mind experience counts here in knowing how far you can go.

If in doubt then be conventional.

PH

You can break some of the rules all of the time,
All of the rules some of the time,
BUT YOU CAN'T BREAK ALL OF THE RULES ALL OF THE TIME!

The main rule I use measures distance!bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back