White set honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie in Ash

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
In a thread on another forum, a beekeeper posted picture of his
‘creamed’ soft set honey. It was pure white! Made from OSR I believe, without any seed or starter. He also had a set honey of a more regular colour set with a starter but this white one stick out visually. I asked him how exactly he achieved that, but he was a bit vague about the steps and said it was just warmed and whizzed with a paint stirrer. Didn’t say how long warmed and whether it was fully liquid or just loosened before he blitzed it.

Something may have been lost in translation but I could not get my head around the fact it set pure white with no starter. Can anyone explain to me exactly how that happened? I didn’t want to appear thick but continually asking the guy questions and it wasn’t thread anyway.

This is a picture of my white set spring honey. To my knowledge it has no rape in it. It has set like fudge. It is a wonderful taste and spreads beautifully.. no stirring at all. Doesn't answer your question but......
E

Attachments

• IMG_20190807_082551-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20190807_082551-800x600.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 95
if you just allow OSR honey to set it turns very white, but I wouldn't describe it as soft set.
The colour of set honey depends on crystal size, smaller the crystal the more whiter it looks. Summat to do with physics and light reflection

This is the honey in question. To restate, NOT my honey but the person whose honey it is won’t mind be sharing I am sure.

Attachments

• CCB73AA1-A733-4113-BDDB-F50648BDB477.jpeg
    CCB73AA1-A733-4113-BDDB-F50648BDB477.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 83
Pure oilseed rape is very white. Simply extract filter and bucket. Once set in the bucket warm until consistency of cream and then start stirring, the longer you can do this over a few days is the key to getting it smooth/soft. You could completely melt and then add a clover as starter even shop bought foreign if for your own consumption. Oilseed is often used as a starter so no need to add. Trick is to bottle at the point you can just about manage it coming out the tap, this also helps reduce the frosting/shrinking effect on the inside of the jari.

I have to say..... That is WHITE!
Looks like icing sugar.
I have had rape honey before but never that white!!!
E

On closer inspection I think that’s a very bad case of frosting, I think he’s bottled straight from extraction. Check out the right hand jar lower left hand panel there is a crescent slightly darker section. Also honey line at top of jar is very uneven and frosting would be that white!!!!!! That would be as bad as I’ve seen though.

Thanks for your thoughts, folks. You can see why I was slightly gobsmacked and intrigued. I do see what you pointed out, Ian. I do see a darker section. Think I would still buy a jar just for the curiosity factor.

I have still to face the rapeseed issue and dealing with crystallised honey. That’ll happen in the spring no doubt. Just doing some research on setting methods. Thanks for your tips. xx

Back