White patch on back

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essexgary

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi.. just about to finish thymol treatment and noticed that some of the bees have a white circular patch between their wings on their backs.. a bit like they have had their hair dyed blond in a circle! any ideas? is it from the Apiguard? I got a close up look at one, and its the hair that has changed colour, not pollen stuck to it or anything like that.
Thanks
Gary

Himalayan Balsam (pollen)?
Oops - make mental note - read post fully before replying.... Doh!

Last edited:
Himalayan Balsam (pollen)?
Oops - make mental note - read post fully before replying.... Doh!

No Moggs, you could be right... I just looked again. on the bee I can see up close, it looks like the hair is a different colour.. but could be pollen.. just wondered if there was anything else it could be.. I'd say 1 in 20 has it.

I'll see your £5 and raise you £10!!

All proceeds to my favourite charity.

Ian

No - they are getting old and grey and need some BeeGreecian 2000 - or Cherry Blossom boot polish or such like....bee-smillie

could they be albeeno bees.....

I'll get my coat....!! :hurray:

Phew - the jokes have given me comfort -i know you guys - if it was serious, you'd tell me..

Thanks! I will get the varnish out and start painting them brown again!

Gary

Just off topic slightly.

What is the pollen that hangs off them like a sheet from each leg, extending half a bee length behind them?

Also white.

Back