Which estate car?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't wast your time with the bmw estates, the 3 series is smaller than the passat and the 5 series is smaller than both.

I've been looking fo a new (to me) estate and I reckon I'll go for a citroen c5, massive boot, even the hatchback is huge, my uncle can throw 2 outboard engines into the boot of his hatchback. Also the citroen can drop it's suspension to give less lifting.

I currently have a seat alhambra people carrier. 45mpg and if you take outthe back row of seats big enough for most loads, take out the middle row and you have a van.

How often are you going to be moving 2 or 4 hives?

Do you need room for more than one other person?

I have a golf and with the rear seats down I can get 3 nationals in

Or for more, a trailer is a better option I use, saves messing the family car up.

I run a Roomster 3, and sadly it will only take two nats in the back, three if the seats are fully forward.

When I move I either blag a lift from a friend or hire a van.

PH

I have a ford focus estate with the seats down I can get 4 Langstroths in and on the passenger seat one draw back for me being it doesnt have enough ground clearance

We have a Perugeot Partner, same as Citroen Berlingo, Fiat Dublo. Drop the rear seats and the floor space allows our hives to go in - have picked up swarm in them and carried two hives together to date. Front wheel drive, independent rear suspension, comfortable, 2008 onwards slightly lower to the ground with a wider tracek. On another note, it has also carried: wood burner, dishwasher, freezer, fridge/freezer, paving slabs and much more. Great workhorse!

Vauxhall Insignia. Two hives side by side. N.o Lip on the boot

Like Frisbee, I have an Astra now - recently acquired. The diesel Astra Estate is economical to run and with the back seats down can accommodate six Nationals. Seven if you use the front passenger seat but then you have no-one to help you load and unload. Looking back the Volvo 740 Estate was the best, but the petrol costs would now be out of my price range.

I got six full supers in my Yaris - with room for more. It of course is not an estate.

I used to have a Volvo 740 estate... waste of space literally as 99% of all journeys boot was empty..

I have carried a depp freeze in the Yaris also a tumble drier (not together.)

The old-style Berlingo/Partner is the obvious suspect, especially if you'd like change from 6k.

The new one is bigger, the load floor is lower (and flatter?) and its more comfy. Doubt you'd get one for 6k though.
Citroen or Peugeot? Its essentially just different trim and maybe different deals when new.

The Fiat Doblo doesn't look as though its related. There's a new, bigger, wackier one - but doubt you'd get it for 6k.
The older one (and the Kanoo) are VERY van-like.

The early model Berlingo van that I did 140K+ miles in was boringly reliable (2l, non-turbo diesel) and pretty economical as long as you weren't too much of a loon on the motorway, where frontal area shows in the speed/mpg tradeoff.
Mine had the stiffer (heavier load) suspension, which might have been why it had noticeably poor traction on mud and snow.

As a "think different" choice, do take a look INSIDE the back of a a Fiat Multipla, with the back seats out of the car. Its vast and flat and low. And because the outside is, umm, unusual, they are usually a very good value second-hand buy - you shouldn't need to spend 6k to get a very good one. Get past the exterior appearance, and its a superbly versatile vehicle.

I used the bees as an excuse to the wife that I needed to buy a land rover as well as the family car, LOL!

I did the same but have had to sell it as my 2000 Defender 90 was to be charge £100 per day to drive within the M25 ( London Emission Zone) from 3rd Jan 2012

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17700.aspx

So if you come to London beware if you have a diesel Van or ANY Defender older than 2002

Last edited:
I managed to get two nationals in the back of my Toyota Avensis, as you can see the problem was the height (14x12 plus supers!)

I estimate that you could get 3 or possibly 4 nationals in without supers.

DDD

saw someone else posted for the passat so it has saved me a walk. so heres my car and van.
i have a opel corsa i can get 4 nationals in it with the seats folded. it has to be just broodbox floor and roof tho as the boot lip is a pain.
however if its just supers then i got 16 supers in it last week. 4 stacks of 4 . it was a bit slugish and i am sure was over its weight limit but who cares.

i also have a ford transit. now i reckon i can get 8 hives on the floor space in that and they can have supers aswell. small loads are a pain as they slide around and need to be tied to a wall aswell as double straped
+ side is it holds the wheel barrow and stands and stakes and wire and sledge aswell. so its a mobile apiary in one run. i share the transit between a few mates and family as the expense is not warrented on my own but between a few it is very usefull. you would be amazed what you can get in the back of one.
if you are going into the green stuff in it make sure you have PLENTY of weight over your back tires as it has piss poor traction.
So corsa for small stuff transit if its a big move.for me anyway.

With the added advantages of comfort, reliability and it will pull the house to another field should you require it.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

True, forgot to mention that bit!

Have you got a Surf then BBG?

I run a Roomster 3, and sadly it will only take two nats in the back, three if the seats are fully forward.

When I move I either blag a lift from a friend or hire a van.

PH

Can't you take the seats out of a Rooster 3 for a massive space?

Which Estate Car.

Hi, Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I am torn between the Mercedes Sports with trailer or a Freelander. Both will be a bit thirsty. I believe I have a few months before I have to make a decision. Thanks again.

get a ford transit, a real drivers vehicle. better load-carrying capability than a car, better driving position, and a greater view of the road.

regards, Tony, owner / driver Transit 190 LWB

I keep being tempted by a Hilux, both for moving hives and taking pigs/sheep about in a trailer. The fuel consumption is very depressing when your "family" car does around 50mpg though :(

James

Latest posts

Back