Where have all the Wasps Gone

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveJ

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Normally this time of year I'm plagued by wasps. This haven't seen a single one in weeks. Did the cold weather earlier on this year kill them off?

SteveJ

I'll tell you where they've gorn, they're all in my living room each night, buzzing round the light, bigguns, too - nearly hornet sized :willy_nilly:

There were loads of queen wasps them around here in March in the fine weather , they were working the gooseberries with the bees. I bet they will show up.

This happened to me last year, i sleep with the light on sometimes and one morning i woke up to 20+ wasps above my head bouncing off my light.
Never crapped myself so much :p and they were very aggressive ones :(.
I've seen none so far this year *touch wood*

This happened to me last year, i sleep with the light on sometimes and one morning i woke up to 20+ wasps above my head bouncing off my light.
Never crapped myself so much :p and they were very aggressive ones :(.
I've seen none so far this year *touch wood*
I just open a window and put the outside light on, switch off all the lights indoors, et voila! They zoom off towards the outside light :)

Village Girl's GARDEN MOST OF THEM.

There were loads of queen wasps them around here in March in the fine weather , they were working the gooseberries with the bees. I bet they will show up.

Local pest controllers reckon the early season start (for wasps) meant that the queens couldn't get enough stores together as the weather changed for that all-important first batch of larvae. Certainly the two we were monitoring vanished when the nest were about 5cm across and there were loads of queens flapping about in the winter when they should have been hibernating.

wasps? Have only seen one or two - oddly have noticed more hornets lately than wasps!! And of course yet even more bumbles. The butterflies are also about in large numbers too.

Similar here. About 6 Queen Wasps around hives. I assume the bad weather killed them all as not seen a single wasp in our garden since...(and they usually try to nest in our eaves - 8 metres up...)

My response, re jaspers, on another thread on Aug 4th, along with something to think about.

Standard food web/habitat education.

Either the environment is not conducive for a suitable habitat (climate for instance) or the food chain is regulated by the amount of resources (food for instance) available.

Case with wasps could be the former or the latter, but likely a combination of both.

I would also think that the ratio of agricultural 'icides' applied to the growing plants is rather different this year, favouring fungicides rather than insecticides - which (thinking a little deeper) likely means that a lot of 'systemic seed dressing insecticides' which were automatically applied this year were not actually needed. Bet that is not Bayer's stance!

RAB

I felt the same until last Sunday. Not many yet but they are hanging around my hives all day now

Went to the bottle bank about 4 miles from my house they are all over there , could hardly get out of the van to drop in the cans & bottles

I'll tell you where they've gorn, they're all in my living room each night, buzzing round the light, bigguns, too - nearly hornet sized :willy_nilly:

One of the pleasures of living in France!:)

Back