Where do forum members (those who buy their queens) buy their queens from?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve only really got queens from ceri Morgan first queens were in 2020.
I’ve been selecting from queens/nucs I also got from him in 2021 I still have 90% of these queens and daughters and grand daughters which I’ve selected for amm traits IMG_1512.jpeg
They have performed well up here on the south Shropshire hills and I’ve really enjoyed working with them.

I’ve only really got queens from ceri Morgan first queens were in 2020.
I’ve been selecting from queens/nucs I also got from him in 2021 I still have 90% of these queens and daughters and grand daughters which I’ve selected for amm traits View attachment 38557
They have performed well up here on the south Shropshire hills and I’ve really enjoyed working with them.
You had plans to get queens from Michael Collier, is that still on?

You had plans to get queens from Michael Collier, is that still on?
I have been trying to contact him Dani to know avail.
I’m going to the agm so I’ll see what I can muster .

Exmoor bees and beehives. Great queens but sadly no long chats on the phone anymore with Pete
Our conversations ended up talking about fishing .
Great Queens

Like others I have used Jon Getty and jolanta queens via black mountain honey .
What’s your assessment of Jolanta queens pls? What are their best characteristics? Any downsides?

Have you tested their daughters?

Be interested in your views.

Always thinking about genetics but need to be locally adapted rather than queens bought in from Greece etc. I need good hardy bees.

Appreciate your feedback
Elaine

no, he was new into the game when Ricky died and I think is still trying to find his feet
He posts on Twitter and seems to be fairly happy with his progress. His dad had lovely queens and he could talk the A*** off a donkey. Bless!!!!

What’s your assessment of Jolanta queens pls? What are their best characteristics? Any downsides?

Always thinking about genetics but need to be locally adapted rather than queens bought in from Greece etc. I need good hardy bees.

Appreciate your feedback
Elaine
I have only had one from Jolanta, first full season last year. I have not taken any daughters yet. So far so good, bees calm on the frame and built up from a nuc in late June very well indeed using all new 14X12 frames drew all out by Aug. Easy to handle, no stinging attempts at all. As I recall she was uk mated, I think its only the early queens that are from Greece. Beekeeping here is decidedly marginal so I also need hardy bees here, generally poor forage and interminable wind and rain, but her workers provided a good return in honey. No sign of chalk brood (Getty Q is prone to it I think). I can see the carniolan in her but I don't have a problem with that.
Yes I would certainly use Jolanta Queens again.

I've only ever bought queens from Exmoor bees and beehives.
I'm sure there are many other good suppliers but as far as I'm concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Appreciate your feedback
Elaine
I bought a Jolanta queen from BMH late in 2022 - very gentle, overwintered well and built up strongly in Spring 23, but disappeared (presumed swarmed) in April.

Her daughter (Queen Mary) is currently my best queen; gentle, calm, built up quickly, didn't show signs of swarming, and delivered her share of honey in an overall bad year. She has a strong winter cluster, and her girls have been out flying on sunny days until this recent cold snap. I can't say I have seen any downsides yet, and I plan to breed from Mary this coming year if she makes it through the winter.

Latest posts

Back