• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Where can I get a skep?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm hoping to arrange a skep for my birthday present, for all the swarms I'm going to collect this year: but not sure where to go. Vectis apiculture seems to have gone, Martin at Newton seems to have gone out of production. Th**nes list one at £70, but no picture.

Hibbit of oswestry do a nice looking one, but with a round top- I would imagine that in swarm collecting, the ability to put the skep down upside down could often be of benefit.

Any info, or indeed opinions on the above, would be welcome :)

what about....

I don't know anything about them. I just found the skep page after browsing through their site after following through on a link from one of polyhive's posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife has one of those Alibaba laundry baskets I have my eye on, :)

what about....

I don't know anything about them. I just found the skep page after browsing through their site after following through on a link from one of polyhive's posts.

I'm guessing a link's been deleted here (thanks HM :rolleyes:). Could you re-post with the supplier hinted at- my first is in tree but not in leaf, or something like that?)

Thanks

what about....

Classic example of why I voted to allow links in the recent poll. Without either links or references, lots of useful discussions become impossible.

how about a trip to the spring convention? ok a wee bit far for you just for a skep and swarm season likely to be well underway towards end of april if last year anything to go by but it's an option to cop a feel before parting with hard earned play pennies.

Google David Chubb or Martin at Newton who both make and sell them. Real works of art. No connection with either!

I'd second Martin at Newton, his website is chock full of skep (and other beekeeping) facts and pictures so well worth a look even if you don't want to buy one.

Yes Rich & Nellie...but OP says Martin is not making skeps...and his site says he's ill and not making skeps.
David Chubb made ours: sturdy, flat topped and doesn't have a hole in the side like the cheap ebay. Made for swarms.

Last edited:
Yes Rich & Nellie...but OP says Martin is not making skeps...and his site says he's ill and not making skeps.
David Chubb made ours: sturdy, flat topped and doesn't have a hole in the side like the cheap ebay. Made for swarms.

I've just had a look on David Chubb's site, and it looks ideal- thanks. :)

I'm off to a skep making talk this evening - happy to check if the presenter makes them for others if that helps.

I'm off to a skep making talk this evening - happy to check if the presenter makes them for others if that helps.

In fact I've just checked, and it's Martin Buckle presenting - so I can check on the state of his health, which according to his website is 'considerably better' ;)

In fact I've just checked, and it's Martin Buckle presenting - so I can check on the state of his health, which according to his website is 'considerably better' ;)

Please update us. Have a good evening :)

what about....

Classic example of why I voted to allow links in the recent poll. Without either links or references, lots of useful discussions become impossible.

Oh, sorry. I did not realise that the link might not follow the rules. Although the link to the site is still active in the thread where I found it. I don't really understand the rules properly, or specifically when they apply. I apologise again. In future I will simply not include links to ensure I do not upset anybody.

Although it does raise an interesting issue with respect to whick links are ok and which are not, and how frustrating it might be when they are removed. These is a very good discussion on the topic here:

And here:

And this site talks about it too, but it does seem to get silly near the end of the thread:

:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back