When will the honey flow end?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ivy honey is for the bees; I'm not too keen on it myself.

I quite like ivy honey, so i'll see how it goes before, then ambrosia to top up and box for ivy Honey for me. Probably as a one off tho as this is first year and hope to have some earlier honey next year, all being well, so I can sell some:.)
Also, not sure how to multi quote so :
Not noticed balsam down here much before mid August normally, not much around us anyway. We still have a fair amount of blackberry, rosebay w/h, clover, bindweed, trefoil going over now, still have purple loostrife, meadowsweet, ragwort, buddlia and a few bits n odds in gardens. We are just off the edge of clay country, our side was mainly 'greened' over several years ago and legal access is very restricted so not entirely sure what grows in parts of it.

Very little basketed pollen from balsam !
Balsam pollen is white and is unintentionally carried on the bees back LOL

John Wilkinson

John, the thread concerns honey potential and nectar flow, on last years evidence there was either a very strong nectar source which was aligned to the balsam flowering or my girls laid down a significant volume of honey directly from it. Given they were coming back like golden ghosts and are doing the same this year with the supers building nicely I'd say the balsam is where it is coming from. Not sure what relevance the pollen contribution has in this context?

Well, in North Norfolk, it has (temporarily, I hope) stopped altogether. Went to have a quick walk around the out apiary yesterday, and hardly any were flying, despite it being mild (though not hot) and only a light breeze....such a contrast to three weeks ago, when the stronger colonies were drawing and filling a national super in 6 days.....mostly from bramble.

Well, in North Norfolk, it has (temporarily, I hope) stopped altogether. Went to have a quick walk around the out apiary yesterday, and hardly any were flying, despite it being mild (though not hot) and only a light breeze....such a contrast to three weeks ago, when the stronger colonies were drawing and filling a national super in 6 days.....mostly from bramble.

yes today, only a few bees on the supers drawing or filling, and the bees are a bit grumpy, suppose realy nothing to do,

still had no significant rain,here in london, grass is brown and brambles now finish but fortunately no hose pipe ban..thames water though waste 30% of their input through leaks and still have enough

John, the thread concerns honey potential and nectar flow, on last years evidence there was either a very strong nectar source which was aligned to the balsam flowering or my girls laid down a significant volume of honey directly from it. Given they were coming back like golden ghosts and are doing the same this year with the supers building nicely I'd say the balsam is where it is coming from. Not sure what relevance the pollen contribution has in this context?
I know what the thread is about thank you .
I responded to pollen colour .
rose bay willow herb is in flower at the same time as balsam and is a major NECTAR source .
Balsam exudes nectar at lower temperatures than native plants (except perhaps ivy !.) the bees work flowers according to nectar flow which keeps them working later in the day !
Like wise evening primrose is worked early in the morning before the previous evenings flowers have passed their best .
I have witnessed these happenings over and over again.including may I had ,white coated bees working balsam !
Check the thread Himalayan balsam there is a very good picture on there.

John

When will my honey flow start?! I had a swarm escape a few weeks ago and I've been waiting for the new queen. I inspected today and there is still nothing in the super but some in the bb. So I have bruised the honey caps in the bb in the hope that they will go upstairs and work their socks off. Btw I presume the new queen is about because they were very chilled and busy. I will star a new thread with the pics my hubby took.

Latest posts

Back