When to stop looking?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megadyptes

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Being a first year beekeeper, thoughts are now turning to what to do (or not do) over the coming winter. The hive seems to be okay from what I can tell in terms of stores and brood (roughly equal number of frames of each at last inspection), and they're still hauling in the pollen so mouse guard will go on when that seems to have stopped or frosts start happening. But at what point would i stop doing the weekly inspection?

No need to do a weekly inspection... although most beekeepers will visit the apiary to check no one has stolen their colonies... and perhaps give a quick heft to ascertain stores level!

A 7 to nine day quick lift of the top brood to check for q cell, perhaps in the season... or a more intrusive inspection to check for disease when an inspector calls.....

Watching the bees at the entrance can tell you a lot.

Good luck

Yeghes da

Stopped inspections latter part of July unless something is wrong.

Haven't looked in a broodchamber during August and later for over 30 years. Nowt to be gained but plenty to be lost - plus all of those stings from bees with nothing better to do.

+5 ... Occasional look through my clear crownboards to see what the state the stores are in ... had a peep tonight and they seem to be filling the brood boxes still .. and the Ivy hasn't started and it's pee'd down with rain for most of the day ...

I do wonder what training our beginners are getting if they are still delving around in their hives on a weekly basis ? Hells teeth - I tend not to do weekly inspections unless I can see swarming signs .. the bees do better if you let them get on with it most of the time.

This is not a criticism of our newbies ... it's WHERE they get the ideas from that bother me !

Last edited:
Some do, some don't, and if you don't look you won't know.

That's true and in a commercial situation it must be necessary as you have so many hives .. but as a hobbyist you tend to get to know what your bees are like and can tell a lot from standing and watching them come and go and peering through the clear crown boards. I know it's not for everyone but I can also tell quite a lot from the debris on the inspection boards which I keep in ..

Inspect when there is something that you feel may need attention is my philosphy .. and stop when you know - it's not always necessary to look at every frame every time.

Being a first year beekeeper, thoughts are now turning to what to do (or not do) over the coming winter. The hive seems to be okay from what I can tell in terms of stores and brood (roughly equal number of frames of each at last inspection), and they're still hauling in the pollen so mouse guard will go on when that seems to have stopped or frosts start happening. But at what point would i stop doing the weekly inspection?

You are done by the sound of things. Keep hefting that's all to keep the weight of the stores up. Well done you.

Sorry to divert the thread a bit, but how popular are the clear crown boards? Are they a problem with moisture in winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to divert the thread a bit, but how popular are the clear crown boards? Are they a problem with moisture in winter?

I like them. I get 6mm polycarbonate ones cut with a central feeding hole that is blanked off unless there is a feeder on. They are strong enough to take 2 litres of syrup without bending.
Condensation is only a problem if the crown board is cold; and preventing a crown board getting cold is easy :)
I never get condensation on mine.

I like them. I get 6mm polycarbonate ones cut with a central feeding hole that is blanked off unless there is a feeder on. They are strong enough to take 2 litres of syrup without bending.
Condensation is only a problem if the crown board is cold; and preventing a crown board getting cold is easy :)

Exactly the same here ... they work out a bit more expensive than home made plywood ones but it's really reassuring when you can peek into the hives without breaking the propolis seal. I usually have an empty super on top of the crown board filled with 100mm of Kingspan in it and never had a drop of condensation visible.

I have some 50mm Kingspan to fit the super that has a rapid feeder size cut out in it and when/if I need to feed the feeder goes in the cut out with another sheet of 50mm Kingspan on top and it keeps the syrup nice and warm for them. Even Finman will agree with this ... that will be a change !

Here are some photos of my winter set-up.

On the outside is a "cosy" made of 50mm kingspan with a folded aluminium roof to shed water. Under this is an eke with 6mm polycarbonate fitted to the bottom with a further 50mm of kingspan loosely fitted inside the eke, on top of the polycarbonate. The polycarbonate is in contact with the infilling kingspan to keep it warm so there has never been any condensation on the polycarbonate crown board.

My thoughts with this set-up is to keep the bees as warm as possible for as long as possible. To look at the bees, I remove the cosy, lift out the kingspan infill et voila!

Hope this helps

CVB

Attachments

• DSCN2833.jpg
    DSCN2833.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2834.jpg
    DSCN2834.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN2835.jpg
    DSCN2835.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2836.jpg
    DSCN2836.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 45
Thanks guys

we use 10mm polycarb (Makrolon I think, has a diamond tough coating)in work for William hill speech panels in the bookies due to its strength. You can hit it full force with a 20 oz hammer as hard as you can and it will not break(clear as glass and 250 times stronger. It's also 30 times stronger than acrylic sheet) Its great stuff strength wise. Might make one next season looks like a good idea for a quick look in

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back