When to put frames in swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolite

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
A swarm arrived into my bait nuc today, I have one drawn frame in there. How long before the bees start drawing from the roof?

It could be a day or two before I get a chance to get in and put the rest of the frames in.

If they have a need they will start straight away
For the future captures,put a few more frames in and a sheet of thin correx as a crownboard

Will do. Thank you. I'll try and get in sooner than later to them.

A swarm arrived into my bait nuc today, I have one drawn frame in there. How long before the bees start drawing from the roof?

It could be a day or two before I get a chance to get in and put the rest of the frames in.
A swarm will start drawing almost immediately. Often when shaking a swarm off a branch into a box you can see wax deposits left on the branch despite their stay only being an hour or two. Don't hang about or you will find yourself in a world of hurt.

If it's a day or two until you get in you'll probably find a small piece of beautiful wild comb. I'd just remove it and slot all the frames in ASAP.

I'm thinking for a bait hive I'd perhaps have the one frame of old comb, then fill the rest using frames with starter strips in the hope that they'd draw comb from those whilst leaving the majority of the box a single void so it looks like a nice space when the scouts check it out.

When I've collected a swarm one evening in a cardboard box and not been able to put them in a hive until the following morning they've often started drawing comb from the top of the box, so they're certainly keen to get onto it as soon as they've decided to stay. Hardly surprising perhaps when there can be a very large number of house bees in a swarm and they don't have a whole lot else to do.

James

Latest posts

Back