When is it getting serious?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I started beekeeping 18 months ago, and have a strong case of bee fever.

I currently have 16 colonies across 2 apiaries (garden and out apiaries).
I'm quite entrepreneurial, having previously run my own little consultancy. I now work full-time as a business consultant.

I can see the trajectory I'm on. I'm letting things grow organically, with the aim of building a significant side business. I've booked my wife in to do the local BKA beginners course - who says romance is dead? So, I potentially have some additional labour to hand.

I have a branded website, which I use to promote my bee products (honey and candles), locally.
Reulations state small-scale beekeeping is anything below 150 colonies.
At what size of operation will I be at when I need to start thinking about contacting Trading standards and food H&S?
I'm not there yet, I would like to be prepared for it.

I started beekeeping 18 months ago, and have a strong case of bee fever.

I currently have 16 colonies across 2 apiaries (garden and out apiaries).
I'm quite entrepreneurial, having previously run my own little consultancy. I now work full-time as a business consultant.

I can see the trajectory I'm on. I'm letting things grow organically, with the aim of building a significant side business. I've booked my wife in to do the local BKA beginners course - who says romance is dead? So, I potentially have some additional labour to hand.

I have a branded website, which I use to promote my bee products (honey and candles), locally.
At what size of operation will I be at when I need to start thinking about contacting Trading standards and food H&S?
I'm not there yet, I would like to be prepared for it.
I congratulate you at 18 months in with that many hives. You are far braver than I ever was. I have never reached the dizzy heights of making it a business so I cant answer your questions....just stand in awe that you are not a shivering wreck on the floor :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

who decided that?
As you sell honey on a 'commercial' basis I would contact your local EH soonest to arrange a food/food preparation hygiene inspection and subsequent certificate. Once creep up towards 40+ colonies, get in touch with the Bee Farmer's Association, in fact, I'd start making enquiries now - with a sound business case and evidence of growth you should have no issues getting membership with all its benefits, and to be honest, with your aspirations the BBKA will be as much use to you as a chocolate teaspoon.

Join the Facebook group Small Scale Commercial Beekeepers. Lot's of commentary and advice from, and for, people on a similar trajectory to yourself.
This is run by Ben of Ben's Berkshire Bees, a sister company to our own.

Latest posts

Back