Whats the going rate for used kit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
I am after some used smith BBs, a local beek who is giving up is wanting to sell some, his gear is a bit rough, in need of repair etc, he said make me an offer, I offered him £20 for a brood box plus super, he replied I'd rather put a match to them:banghead: I wish people would just say what they want or what they would be happy with. SO WHAT IS THE GOING RATE:rant:

give him a box of matches £20 is a very good offer.
tell him your offer is good for 7 days and to call you if he changes his mind

With Th****s selling new first quality cedar for about £60.00 your price of £20.00 seems to me to be quite fair. The alternative is for him to put them into an auction, when you will probably get them for about half that!

The alternative is for him to put them into an auction, when you will probably get them for about half that!

I dont think he would bother, looking at the way he has looked after his bees he would let them rot

Iv'e found that some beeks are over pricing there equipment and stock.

Keep looking, a good hive is an investment. Should last many years.

I dont think he would bother, looking at the way he has looked after his bees he would let them rot

If that is the case you may be better off if he does burn them

give him a box of matches £20 is a very good offer.
tell him your offer is good for 7 days and to call you if he changes his mind
Well said,
I never leave an offer for anything standing, "I am offering you £x now, not tomorrow, that is another day and another offer, I might not want it so much tomorrow so the bid might be less !! "
Learnt this one a long time ago, peoples use your offer to jack the price up to the next buyer, they have nothing to lose with a standing bid.

i went to an auction and they were paying more for used bboxes than you can new seconds for.

Being new to this and very keen and enthusiastic I was eager to get some gear.
I ended up driving 200 miles round trip to buy a pile of 'knackered boxes'. It wasnt untill I got them home and set about cleaning them up that I realised what an ***** I had been.
I put them in an auction and got about 30% of what I paid for them (not including the diesel) and bought a new hive and some seconds at the Thornes sale at the BBKA.
I should never of bought the old tat but I was keen just to buy something and at the time fell for the hour of bee chat, cup of tea and pile of boxes that smelt of bees and honey !
Something else I noticed is that a few places have inflated their prices now its the season, one place selling the same hive advertised in January at 160 now at 240 !
Lesson learnt, buy with your head.
Happy Bee keeping

Hi SimonF, Sounds like a very fair offer to me. I recently bought supers, bb, and nuc box all for £10 each. All needed a good torching over but perfectly useable. I'd keep looking and how about posting on the equipment for sale / wanted. You never know what might turn up. Good luck with building up your equipment, it's good for the environment to reuse as long as it can be properly cleaned up for the ladies. Aly

Kings Lynn is a big beekeeping area, look at the auctions, and ask about at your association.

A lot of my equipment come form beekeepers retiring and reducing stock.

The problem is when to stop!! And don't tell the her in doors!!

I am after some used smith BBs, a local beek who is giving up is wanting to sell some, his gear is a bit rough, in need of repair etc, he said make me an offer, I offered him £20 for a brood box plus super, he replied I'd rather put a match to them:banghead: I wish people would just say what they want or what they would be happy with. SO WHAT IS THE GOING RATE:rant:

You can buy a new brood box in cedar for £20 from Caddon hives
L

A friend of a friend is trying to sell some hives parts and seemed to think that the equipment is worth (£300) a lot more than I offered (£100). That is until I told him I could get at least four brood boxes from a sheet of good quality ply !
Give him a box of matches!

Latest posts

Back