What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any idea what this is, it's growing wild 30m from my hives?
Also foraging on thistle (there's a field of virtual thistle "monoculture" nearby) and rosebay willowherb from a stroll around the area.

Attachments

• DSC_0134~2.JPG
    DSC_0134~2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
And Cinnabar moths (specifically their caterpillars).

James
I’ll look them up James , I’ve been watching the moths on the buddleia at night a bit when the weather has aloud
Way more moths around than butterflies.

I’ll look them up James , I’ve been watching the moths on the buddleia at night a bit when the weather has aloud
Way more moths around than butterflies.

I love them. The moths themselves are fairly small, but have beautiful bright red and near-black wings whilst the caterpillars are banded black and yellowy-orange. Ragwort is the caterpillar's preferred food source as far as I'm aware, but I often find them on groundsel if there's not enough ragwort about.

We had a fair bit of ragwort flower last year for some reason so we've had quite a few adults and caterpillars around this summer.

James

Any idea what this is, it's growing wild 30m from my hives?
Also foraging on thistle (there's a field of virtual thistle "monoculture" nearby) and rosebay willowherb from a stroll around the area.
Thats Great Hoary Willowherb - Epilobium hirsutum - there is loads near me lining the rhynes - i was wondering if that was where all the light coloured pollen the bees are bringing in was coming from.

Thats Great Hoary Willowherb - Epilobium hirsutum - there is loads near me lining the rhynes - i was wondering if that was where all the light coloured pollen the bees are bringing in was coming from.
Just read through older discussions - apparently the pollen from this plant is yellow so not what my bees are bringing in - I'll go back to thinking it's Balsam - even though none of them seem to show the classic cream body dusting.

Latest posts

Back