• Start date
Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

OrchardBees 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Mine are going beserk on a 40ft Sarcococca hedge (white pollen = pretty white faces). The noise was incredible!

Amari 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Primrose and snowdrops busy in the sun today... Daphne and Mahonia still going strong and the hellebores are out... bees very busy today
in the sub tropical greatgreygreenslimeytamarrivervalleyallsetaboutwithtorybrixiteersallcomplainingaboutthetimeitistakingtheirUPSdeliveryoffreshsausageandsaurcrauttocomefromgermany! :smilielol5:
:icon_204-2::winner1st:

Amari 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Yes, but en masse it's a bit overpowering. Rather reminiscent of burning plastic!
That's the last analogy I'd apply. Sarcococca must be the most scented species on earth. No need to go near, the scent wafts several feet away.

drdrday 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
2 + 1 nuc
Mine are going beserk on a 40ft Sarcococca hedge (white pollen = pretty white faces). The noise was incredible!
My aunt dropped off a few sarcococca suckers that she'd dug out of her garden for me. I planted them this morning next to a nuc. They're barely a foot high, but before I'd even put the spade away there were two bees on them :)

charlievictorbravo 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - 14x12
Strange, Alexanders grow pofusely along the verges here and I've never seen a bee on them. I'll have to look more closely when they flower.
I took the photo two days ago - when the sun shone briefly - you can just make out the pale pollen in her pollen baskets. She's sharing the Alexanders flowers with some flies. CVB
1614101570828.png

hemo 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
A pic of the hedge would be nice, I have a wooden fence bordering next doors garden and it rots because the old boy stacks rubbish against it. so need something nice to put in it's place instead.

The Poot 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
A pic of the hedge would be nice, I have a wooden fence bordering next doors garden and it rots because the old boy stacks rubbish against it. so need something nice to put in it's place instead.
Electric fencing?

Lizbee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Winter honeysuckle is a real hit in my garden in Kent. I want to take some cuttings this year and see if I can grow a few more. The smell is amazing. Also hellebores but not much else in flower I don't think. Some daffodils about to open, but will have to wait a while for my favourite variety - Winston Churchill - which has a beautiful scent.

Attachments

Cefn Eithaf 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
They are working Scillia in my garden. Great early flowing bulbs for pollen and nectar. Very early flowering and incredibly hardy.20210221_123336.jpg

OrchardBees 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
That's the last analogy I'd apply. Sarcococca must be the most scented species on earth. No need to go near, the scent wafts several feet away.
I agree, it's fantastic. At a distance, when you just catch a hint of it, but this quantity, under your windows, can be too much.

Ignore the mess! It's a good hedge; evergreen, bushy, fast-growing. This one is cut twice a year to contain it. It's starting to go over now. You can see all the white petals on the ground.

Attachments

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I agree, it's fantastic. At a distance, when you just catch a hint of it, but this quantity, under your windows, can be too much.

Ignore the mess! It's a good hedge; evergreen, bushy, fast-growing. This one is cut twice a year to contain it. It's starting to go over now. You can see all the white petals on the ground.
I bet the scent from the Xmas box is lovely.

masterBK 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
wintering 30 + 2 polynucs
Bees still working Hellebores. They are one of the few plants (along with crocus) the bees from the hives in my garden actually bother with at this time of year. I also have lots of snowdrops,daffs and Daphne flowers out but not seen a bee on them yet this year.

Attachments

Last edited:

hemo 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
Thanks OrchardBees, looks good. May have to seriously consider planting some, quick growing is ideal and my fence line is well sheltered and shaded.
Any strong aroma shouldn't be an issue as the hedge will be some 80 ft down the garden.