What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are going beserk on a 40ft Sarcococca hedge (white pollen = pretty white faces). The noise was incredible!

Primrose and snowdrops busy in the sun today... Daphne and Mahonia still going strong and the hellebores are out... bees very busy today
in the sub tropical greatgreygreenslimeytamarrivervalleyallsetaboutwithtorybrixiteersallcomplainingaboutthetimeitistakingtheirUPSdeliveryoffreshsausageandsaurcrauttocomefromgermany! :smilielol5:

:icon_204-2::winner1st:

Mine are going beserk on a 40ft Sarcococca hedge (white pollen = pretty white faces). The noise was incredible!
My aunt dropped off a few sarcococca suckers that she'd dug out of her garden for me. I planted them this morning next to a nuc. They're barely a foot high, but before I'd even put the spade away there were two bees on them :)

Strange, Alexanders grow pofusely along the verges here and I've never seen a bee on them. I'll have to look more closely when they flower.
I took the photo two days ago - when the sun shone briefly - you can just make out the pale pollen in her pollen baskets. She's sharing the Alexanders flowers with some flies. CVB
1614101570828.png

A pic of the hedge would be nice, I have a wooden fence bordering next doors garden and it rots because the old boy stacks rubbish against it. so need something nice to put in it's place instead.

A pic of the hedge would be nice, I have a wooden fence bordering next doors garden and it rots because the old boy stacks rubbish against it. so need something nice to put in it's place instead.
Electric fencing?

Winter honeysuckle is a real hit in my garden in Kent. I want to take some cuttings this year and see if I can grow a few more. The smell is amazing. Also hellebores but not much else in flower I don't think. Some daffodils about to open, but will have to wait a while for my favourite variety - Winston Churchill - which has a beautiful scent.

Attachments

• bee.jpg
    bee.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 5
They are working Scillia in my garden. Great early flowing bulbs for pollen and nectar. Very early flowering and incredibly hardy.20210221_123336.jpg

That's the last analogy I'd apply. Sarcococca must be the most scented species on earth. No need to go near, the scent wafts several feet away.
I agree, it's fantastic. At a distance, when you just catch a hint of it, but this quantity, under your windows, can be too much.

Ignore the mess! It's a good hedge; evergreen, bushy, fast-growing. This one is cut twice a year to contain it. It's starting to go over now. You can see all the white petals on the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_2481.jpeg
    IMG_2481.jpeg
    835.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2477.jpeg
    IMG_2477.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2476.jpeg
    IMG_2476.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2475.jpeg
    IMG_2475.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 27
I agree, it's fantastic. At a distance, when you just catch a hint of it, but this quantity, under your windows, can be too much.

Ignore the mess! It's a good hedge; evergreen, bushy, fast-growing. This one is cut twice a year to contain it. It's starting to go over now. You can see all the white petals on the ground.
I bet the scent from the Xmas box is lovely.

The ornamental cherry trees in the street have started to blossom and the bees are on them. Can see them from my home office window 😀

Attachments

• DA34A811-D776-4D86-ABE6-11CFB56F2B33.jpeg
    DA34A811-D776-4D86-ABE6-11CFB56F2B33.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: mbc
Bees still working Hellebores. They are one of the few plants (along with crocus) the bees from the hives in my garden actually bother with at this time of year. I also have lots of snowdrops,daffs and Daphne flowers out but not seen a bee on them yet this year.

Attachments

• 24th Feb Hellebore.jpg
    24th Feb Hellebore.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Thanks OrchardBees, looks good. May have to seriously consider planting some, quick growing is ideal and my fence line is well sheltered and shaded.
Any strong aroma shouldn't be an issue as the hedge will be some 80 ft down the garden.

Latest posts

Back