What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday mid afternoon, slight drizzle and T. 14C, I was surprised to see a hummingbird hawkmoth on my Salvia 'Hot lips'. It's popular with the bumbles but only a few honey bees visit. I just missed the moth in the pic below but here is a link. They are amazing creatures to watch. Humming-bird Hawk-moth
We have had the Hummingbird hawkmoths on our buddleia for the last couple of weeks. They are amazing.

Ivy is just beginning to flower here. We were picking sloes about a mile from the farm apiary. I'm pretty certain it was my bees we were seeing. My partner pointed out a 'big bee' flying about. It was a European hornet, who also appeared to be feeding on the ivy. Suddenly it swooped onto one of the bees and dragged it off. It then suspended itself between some foliage to eat it. It consumed its meal within about two minutes before flying off!

Attachments

• Ivy.jpg
    Ivy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • Hornet.jpg
    Hornet.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 60
A stunning unusual pic of the hornet Swan, quite a amazing. Not something one see's every day.

A stunning unusual pic of the hornet Swan, quite a amazing. Not something one see's every day.
I cannot take credit for that photo. I took loads, but my phone/camera would not focus on it, as it chomped through the bee. My partner, Jac, stepped forward and took two perfect shots!

I like the brick paving in that court yard.. Can I ask what the ibcs are for Michael?
Oak tree got seriously busy and didn't recognise any of the buzzing! :sneaky: Decided to drop a recently robbed out box under it, one week later and..... Great swarm moved in,,,, From where - who knows? But great when it happens in your own back yard... (These boxes without landing boards have always done so well here)
oak swarm.jpg

Its greened up a bit there Michael ECB's.

Photo of our native hop, Dodonaea viscosa subsp. spatulata

The early colonists used to successfully make a beer from the papery seed capsules.IMG_20201006_183816437.jpg

Its greened up a bit there Michael ECB's.

Yep, Had a bit of rain, dams started filling up which allowed my conscience to allow me to turn on our home irrigation again... :)
Fortunately the surrounding pastures and water supply made it through the winter/dry season... If you look just past the pastures you can still see how dry it is...

A bit more rain and our surrounds and mountains will start "lighting Up" Bees are starting to get very busy here....

Yep, Had a bit of rain, dams started filling up which allowed my conscience to allow me to turn on our home irrigation again... :)
Fortunately the surrounding pastures and water supply made it through the winter/dry season... If you look just past the pastures you can still see how dry it is...

A bit more rain and our surrounds and mountains will start "lighting Up" Bees are starting to get very busy here....

We have an La Nina weather pattern here at the moment in contrast to the Al Nino of recent years. Much wetter than other years, so it should keep the bushfire risk lower this year in Aus. Quite green here now in Tas and the rain should help nectar production.IMG_20201006_165638607.jpg

We have an La Nina weather pattern here at the moment in contrast to the Al Nino of recent years. Much wetter than other years, so it should keep the bushfire risk lower this year in Aus. Quite green here now in Tas and the rain should help nectar production.

Looking great that side of the world....
Re rainfall, chuffed for you guys that side...- Nature has a way of sorting "Stuff" out.... Unfortunately for us, it sometimes requires a New Broom....

Nog really bee forage. Anyone any good at mushroom ideitification or can suggest a book/site. I'm so tempted to fry these. Growing on an old birch stump (surrounded by 6 month old bark chippings).

Attachments

• IMG_3884.JPG
    IMG_3884.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
I wasn't referring to them not being seen during the year/season beeno as I see them now and then in the garden but the stance/position used to feed/dismember it's prey. Unlike the common wasps which can and are a nuisance esp late in summer/early Autumn the European hornet I find is an impressive insect.

I wasn't referring to them not being seen during the year/season beeno as I see them now and then in the garden but the stance/position used to feed/dismember it's prey. Unlike the common wasps which can and are a nuisance esp late in summer/early Autumn the European hornet I find is an impressive insect.
So, was I!

Love European hornets. There is an owl box above the hives at one of my out apiaries which has a hornets nest in and if you stand in the right place you can see the beautiful nest structure inside. The hornets are paying no attention whatsoever to our bees but SWMBO says she has seen butterfly wings on the ground.

When the hornets disperse we are going to try and get the hornets nest out of the owl box and if it is more or less intact we will take it into our son's school.

Latest posts

Back