Whats all this debris under the nuc ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
So caught a swarm the other week and moved them into a nuc 8 days ago for ease of transport and ease of vaping.

Then vaped them 5 days ago.

Picked them up after sunset last night and as I moved the paynes nuc there was a pile of debris under the box

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcP4rvJ83uQZLBq58
is it - part mite debris, part bits of comb (they have a mix of old brood to work on and new frames), body parts ?

So caught a swarm the other week and moved them into a nuc 8 days ago for ease of transport and ease of vaping.

Then vaped them 5 days ago.

Picked them up after sunset last night and as I moved the paynes nuc there was a pile of debris under the box

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcP4rvJ83uQZLBq58
is it - part mite debris, part bits of comb (they have a mix of old brood to work on and new frames), body parts ?

Yes. All those lovely things. Looks pretty normal to me if they have old comb to work with - they are doing some house clearance.

Yes pretty normal when you give them old comb they will clean it up and chew it back and re build it ... it's one of the reasons I think changing combs unless they are really manky is pointless... the bees will use what they want and discard what they don't...

Yes pretty normal when you give them old comb they will clean it up and chew it back and re build it ... it's one of the reasons I think changing combs unless they are really manky is pointless... the bees will use what they want and discard what they don't...
Absolutely. Its why shook swarming a healthy hive is pointless

Absolutely. Its why shook swarming a healthy hive is pointless
Tell that to clown who was arguing with me on farcebokk a few days ago, he was adamant it invigorates the colony and fills them full of enthusiasm (he has a facebook page for is apiary and swarm collecting 'business'.........................
...............so he must be an 'expert'

All we can do JBM is to try to convince new beekeepers on these pages that manipulations like that chaps are completely unnecessary.We all love the look of a new hive, new frames and tidiness, no propolis clogging up frames, no burr comb glueing a QX onto the frames below. But that's the way the bees like it. Don't you just love the smell of an established nest!

All we can do JBM is to try to convince new beekeepers on these pages that manipulations like that chaps are completely unnecessary.We all love the look of a new hive, new frames and tidiness, no propolis clogging up frames, no burr comb glueing a QX onto the frames below. But that's the way the bees like it. Don't you just love the smell of an established nest!
Yes, there's something special about the smell of a good colony - and you are right - if the bees don't like something they get together and sort it. People just don't get it ... bees are the cleanest organism on the planet ... and yet they think they need to clean them out.

Latest posts

Back