What would you do next?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Please bear with lengthy explanation. I have one colony that overwintered on National brood and a half. Took advantage of glorious weather for forst inspection of the season. The super is crammed with capped stores, every frame full, probably a combination of last years Balsam and syrup (plus thymol of course). The brood box has seven full frames of brood, capped and uncapped, and a couple more of stores. Given the strength of the colony, to avoid swarming and maybe getting a split later, I would like to go to double brood. The options I see are
1. New brood box directly over existing brood box, queen excluder then super full of stores (possibly bruised).
2. Take super away for future use, new brood box on top of existing, then feed.
3. Something else I haven't thought of
What would you do please?

Why not follow Finman's advice in the post by BLD "Every frame full except one....."?
Remove super for another day and add BB under current BB as per his instructions. That's what I did at the week end with a full BB, (no super on mine.)
Cazza

Why not follow Finman's advice in the post by BLD "Every frame full except one....."?
Remove super for another day and add BB under current BB as per his instructions. That's what I did at the week end with a full BB, (no super on mine.)
Cazza

not sure what you mean by remove super for another day?

I have removed 3 full frames of honey stores from the brood box and replaced them with dawn frame. I will use the full frames later when I split the colony.

Cazza

:iagree:

We did this two days ago without inspecting until today - result:

Inspected today - 9 frames with brood, eggs and larvae - the tenth had honey, pollen and some eggs.

Bottom box - ALL frames packed with bees on foundation drawing out comb.

Added 200gms fondant - check again Thurs.

All nucs packed with brood now upgraded to full hives - weather is hot, hot, hot!

It's gonna be a good summer!

(Move with caution :) )

Latest posts

Back