What we doing wrong?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polishkepper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello guys, I am from Poland and I am mega beginner with bees, I get fond of bee-keeping because my grandfather has own hives and I always love to work with him, that's why I asking you how to work good with bees.
We are total amateurs so I recorded a short movie about our behaviours in hives, could you tell me what we are doing wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsKzLyiN8b0

Many things that you would see may disturb your point of bee-working.

Also I wanted to collect some information from the internet and start a real good bee hive by my own :)

Thank you!

Your hives are very different to anything I have worked with. My first question is where are all the bees? It seems very empty! I do not think you are that much of a beginner working with no gloves. You seem competent enough.
Interesting video
E

Your hives are very different to anything I have worked with. My first question is where are all the bees? It seems very empty! I do not think you are that much of a beginner working with no gloves. You seem competent enough.
Interesting video
E

I could see latex gloves (I think) There didn't seem to be much brood to be seen so I am wondering what time of year the video was taken?

It seems to me those frames may weighing well over 5 kilo each…Heavy to work with:rolleyes:

It seems to me those frames may weighing well over 5 kilo each…Heavy to work with:rolleyes:

they are!, i helped a polish lady extract a few of frames two years ago, the problem was finding an extractor that would spin them, they had to do it in a 14x12 two frame tangential, heavy work

She worked her hive similar to a Dartington/Beehaus hive, perhaps a Dartington owner could advise, not my speciality, though i did peer into one last week

if is lack of bees it could be that the colony was expanded with extra frames to fast in spring and spent all their engery easrly in spring keeping warm so just did not reach critcal size to expand, or they are nosemic

( nice to see the polish insulate above the frame tops),

Brilliant to see, thank you.

Could you tell us more about these hives and the lovely dark bees you have?

do not think you are that much of a beginner working with no gloves. You seem competent enough.
Maybe 'amateur' means not commercial? Grandfather certainly seems to know what he's doing.

Insulation somewhat like the Warre hive but what enormous frames. I would advise joining a local bee keeping club and getting advice from them.

Great to see Polish beekeeping and very welcome to the forum.

Can you please tell us what you think you are doing wrong? If we know what you problem is we might be of more assistance to you.

Ok. We did not see any of the middle frames, but only saw a small patch of sealed brood, and very few bees. Need more information. Well handled though. Similarities with my top bar hives.

Back