What tree is this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:iagree:
Watch out for the suckers...

Thanks, good tree for bees from the info on google.
I'll need to keep an eye out for any shoots close by!

yep aka stags horn sumach

They sucker like you wont believe the come up quite a way from the main tree as well

Common English name: Stag's Horn Sumac and as already warned the thing can be very invasive. If it is planted close to a boundary it will start send up shoots next door - 10 or 15 feet away or more in time.

We have 2 one by the house and another 25m away further down the garden. (by the parasol in the pic)
Until today I've never heard of suckers, well, tree suckers! You learn something new everyday on the forum!

We have 2 one by the house and another 25m away further down the garden. (by the parasol in the pic)
Until today I've never heard of suckers, well, tree suckers! You learn something new everyday on the forum!

Maybe you started with one! Only kidding.

We had them in the house I was born in - and I lived there for many years. My aunt still lives next door having lived in the same house for almost 70 years. Even as a young child (from age about 3 yrs) I loved this tree because of the wonderful autumn colours - almost looks like it is on fire when the sun catches it. My Mum used to call it the Rusty Phinus - slightly corrupting the latin name in view of its lovely Rust colour.

Back