what to feed bees low on food

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only pointed out YOUR error Rab because you make a point of pointing out those of EVERYONE else.You obviously don't like or can't stand criticism when it's pointed at you.As I said before - a little humility seems to be in order.

Quoting incorrect and misleading 'facts' seems to be dishmop's real forte. I was thinking here (as one example) of the book in the US (which wasn't even the one being referred to in the text) being offered for $200, whilst there were books actually in Britain for just 9 quid upwards.

Why such a need to make a drama out of if it was UK or USA site??
Amazon is Amazon...

The main fact is that somebody asked about feeding his bees.
You stated that weak colonies should be united.
I said that might be confusing (not that I found it confusing)as you had not made it clear as to what weak colonies should be united to, but instead of clarifying what you meant, you had to reply with a sarcastic comment, (which it now appears you admit was directed at me) and even though in that sarcastic answer you did say that perhaps it might be confusing to some people you still didnt clarify the original remark regarding uniting. You then started on about what was a weak colony etc etc.
The original poster wasnt asking for a definition of a weak colony, although of course the information is relevant.

Now I will admit to being confused regarding the fact that you spent time searching thro all my posts to see what I had written?
Whatever for? Collecting evidence for a trial? Dont bother, if anybody here thinks I'm stupid they will already have formed that conclusion without any further assistance from you.

Last edited:
The fondant that I've made has set to a creamy paste, however it has some failry large crystals in it, can anyone tell me if this means that I've got something that might harm the bees?
I'm only asking as I've read that letting water continue to boil as you add sugar for sugarsyrup can cause it to crystalize and invert the sugars which can be toxic for the bees, I'm not quite sure of the chemical processes in the making of the fondant and want to make sure I'm not going to poison my lovely ladiesbee-smillie

should be ok, the bees will use water from outside or condensation from inside the hive to break down the sugar

In and emergency you can just take a 1lb bag of sugar, soak it in water ,slash it with you hive tool and place it over the crown board or just empty the bag of sugar on the crown board and wet it ( that is messy and less easy to remove when you get new fondant]

it is more diffiuclt for them to use but in and emergency it is better than nothing, but not recommended for normal feeding

Originally Posted by chycarne
Interesting...
one thing we did in our tidy up (?) was to put fondant on fully spiked paper over the frames (the paper that is, oh ok, the paper had a lot of holes put in it, the paper was put on the frames, the fondant was put on the paper) insulation and bee feed access solved, bees seem vary happy, hive tidy and drip free (dont!!)

mm said I was going to add on" fondant on top of frames".... but you will needs to sort the mess of frames and fondant out in spring

Thats why we did the paper bit, it seems to work and forms a nice warm patch too... hey we got something right (ish)
Fondant- we tend to buy it in from as local as possible, talk to your local beeks and see if there is somewhere local, otherwise postage is an arm and a leg...

I've given the ladies the fondant I made up yesterday, it's a bit more gooey than I think it's supposed to be but they were very enthusiastic about it so no problems there!
I've also ordered some from my local bakery, £12.00 for 12.5kg which seemed reasonable. I've placed it directly on the brood frames in plastic freezer bags with a slit cut in the top to give them easy access.
Thanks again for the help, with a bit of luck I'll get all four through the winter ;)

Originally Posted by chycarne
Interesting...
one thing we did in our tidy up (?) was to put fondant on fully spiked paper over the frames (the paper that is, oh ok, the paper had a lot of holes put in it, the paper was put on the frames, the fondant was put on the paper) insulation and bee feed access solved, bees seem vary happy, hive tidy and drip free (dont!!)

mm said I was going to add on" fondant on top of frames".... but you will needs to sort the mess of frames and fondant out in spring

Thats why we did the paper bit, it seems to work and forms a nice warm patch too... hey we got something right (ish)
Fondant- we tend to buy it in from as local as possible, talk to your local beeks and see if there is somewhere local, otherwise postage is an arm and a leg...

Not sure if this has been said before and I am not prepared to spend time going through the posts as there seems to be a side issue going on with this thread!

I put my fondant into large Zip lock bags from Tesxo, slice with a sharp knife to correspond to the crown board holes and place on top. The cuts allow the bees to feed and polythene keeps the fondant from dripping, it also allows it to stay moist (ish). I guess you could also put directly onto frames to the same effect
Cheers
S

Oliver90owner said:
As usual some are either totally confused or demonstrating plain stupidity and inability to read.

RAB doesn't do humility and I have to admit that I came to similar conclusions, so would not expect him to make an exception in this case.

Dishmop said:
if anybody here thinks I'm stupid they will already have formed that conclusion without any further assistance from you.

Perceptive; you are perfectly right of course. :beatdeadhorse5:

Admin,
Is it possible to have a separate forum called points of principle or something where members can have these discussions?

All I want to do is read the advice in this thread and I am being forced to read a lot of incidental discussion that I find more than a little uncomfortable...and perhaps unhelpful.

Not wanting to stop anyone's discussion but actually looking to learn from the pertinent answers.

Thanks,
Sam

Agree Sam, I think ppl have too much time free at moment :) check my post #8 - not sure if anyone even read it, hay ho

Admin, you got cold water buckets ready?

Agree Sam, I think ppl have too much time free at moment :) check my post #8 - not sure if anyone even read it, hay ho

Admin, you got cold water buckets ready?

Yes JEZD I most certainly have read your post No8 and agree with it,BUT,when you post something only to have every word or concept examined in minute detail and then "corrected" like the work of some recalcitrant "schoolboy" by the likes of O90O who purports to be "in education",I think we have every right to attempt to bite back.I have been keeping bees for 40 years now,am the product of a public school education,have held a very senior position in one of the countrys leading engineering companies and take great exception to being "nit-picked" by the likes of "Rab".
He is as entitled to his opinion as I am to mine but should be prepared to bow to the opinion of others NOT turn the forum into a "slanging match".As I said before "a little humility is in order".

It seems that some people are missing the point. A statement which says that weak colonies should be united possibly means nothing to somebody who is still in the process of becoming a beek and still learning or is thinking about doing it. They come here for advice....Therefore my remark of "this could confuse" Not it was confusing. Rab replied and ackowledged that yes it could confuse some so therefore regardless of who those some were, wouldnt it just have been so so easy to add a very short bit to clarify his meaning? instead of;-

Originally Posted by Oliver90owner
As usual some are either totally confused or demonstrating plain stupidity and inability to read.
Neither of those.

RAB doesn't do humility and I have to admit that I came to similar conclusions, so would not expect him to make an exception in this case.
Well yes you would agree because you know what he meant but I think that you might concur that some may not...

It appears that Rab felt affronted that somebody had dared to question him, whereas in fact I did not query what he had said,,,, I asked him to expand on what he had said.

I have to agree with Dishmop in that it was not obvious that RAB meant uniting two weak colonies may prove to be a futile exercise.
I had an alarm ringing in my head that it didn't seem a logical approach, but lack the experience to know that was what was meant.

I have to agree with Dishmop in that it was not obvious that RAB meant uniting two weak colonies may prove to be a futile exercise.
I had an alarm ringing in my head that it didn't seem a logical approach, but lack the experience to know that was what was meant.

I must admit,lacking experience,that having two strong colonies and two weak ones I might have been tempted to unite the two weak ones leaving three to go through the winter. I know better now :leaving:

Looks like I need to read a thread of 55 posts after dinner.

If members are unhappy with another members post they need to hit the report post button.

Its the button below left next to the online/offline button:
report.gif

That way I can keep a tally of who is being disruptive and act upon it.

Guys,

Let's grow up a bit. Why are you trying to snatch up any opportunity that you get to have a snipe? Rab gives some of the best advice on the forum and yet when he posts one slightly vague reply certain members feel the need to deliver a full character assasination. Why don't you guys get down to writing some useful posts yourself rather than just waiting for the moments when you see an opportunity to get one up over someone who (in beekeeping knowledge) is infallible.
Admittedly Rab can occassionally assume that everyone is as vastly experienced and as knowledgable as he is, but I believe that his outstandingly detailed posts massively overwrites whatever faults you guys try to find.

Ben P

Can I request that the negative thread tone comes to and end please.
I really enjoy the information I get from this forum and at the moment up end up scanning this thread for useful nuggets and continually get disappointed.

Actually I didn't know how to unite colonies which is something I will need to do next year.

There are lots of questions, most of which are pretty dumb, that I would like to ask but I cannot be bothered to post them in amongst all the incidental comment.

So please can we reduce the incidental and negative comment ...as I said admin ...is there no where else to take the other discussion. It clearly isn't over but it is ruining the value of this thread,

Thanks,
Sam

Looks like I need to read a thread of 55 posts after dinner.

If members are unhappy with another members post they need to hit the report post button.

Its the button below left next to the online/offline button:
report.gif

That way I can keep a tally of who is being disruptive and act upon it.

Admin dont know what gives you that idea . lol

Everything is ok in the house admin we just been playing happy familes ( we

can pick our friends but not our family )

must admit I have been eating alot of icecream lately yum yum yummy

ly2xd.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back