what to feed bees low on food

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking the stance you are Dishmop, I wonder why you opt not to accept private messages?

It would appear that there is some emotion flying in the wind, and I suggest again that some thought and coolness will assist your posting.

PH

???

Why are you turning a perfectly reasonable post into a spiteful argument?

Ben P

argument?

I started by asking a question, to which the answer was an inference that I was confused and incapable of understanding something even tho that something was in fact not there to understand.....
it took another reader to answer for him to clarify it.

Ah, you can't?

I wonder.

Newton, I believe thought that for every action there is a reaction.

Then again I am very often wrong.

PH

I dont believe in behind the scenes discussions.

TWENTY SIX REPLIES AND ONLY about Five "ON SUBJECT"

So not wishing to get involved i'll ignore the most of the posts and add my views

feed them a couple of kg of fondant above the crown board or even a small amount in a poly bag on the top of frames if it really gets cold so it is nearer the cluster, replace when eaten

as soon as we get a warm spring week, i would then feed 1:2 syrup in a 1lb jar contact feeder each week

Interesting...
one thing we did in our tidy up (?) was to put fondant on fully spiked paper over the frames (the paper that is, oh ok, the paper had a lot of holes put in it, the paper was put on the frames, the fondant was put on the paper) insulation and bee feed access solved, bees seem vary happy, hive tidy and drip free (dont!!) next insulation being sorted now and will go on this week as xcweather suggests Finish weather is heading our way warmed by the balmy North Sea...

Interesting...
one thing we did in our tidy up (?) was to put fondant on fully spiked paper over the frames (the paper that is, oh ok, the paper had a lot of holes put in it, the paper was put on the frames, the fondant was put on the paper) insulation and bee feed access solved, bees seem vary happy, hive tidy and drip free (dont!!) next insulation being sorted now and will go on this week as xcweather suggests Finish weather is heading our way warmed by the balmy North Sea...

i was going to add on" fondant on top of frames".... but you will needs to sort the mess of frames and fondant out in spring

weather, yes looks a bit bleak, but old adage

when there's ice in November to support a duck, the rest of the winter is mud and muck.

Took the pill, snooze zzzz.

I can smell the bile from here .
:chillpill::chillpill::chillpill::chillpill:s all round I think :D

John Wilkinson

Big Wiggin
It's been a long time coming! I know next to nothing about bee keeping and I read this forum to learn, but I know an a**e hole when I meet or in this case read one. Being knowledgeable is no excuse for bad manners. The saying "make friends and influence people" comes to mind, but the opposite is also true. Should maybe stick to cowboys and indians.

Best Regards
Little Leigh.
Tin hat already on.

Blood in the water - not a medical condition . . .

Please note that the original poster was satisfied with the original answers given.

TWENTY SIX REPLIES AND ONLY about Five "ON SUBJECT"

feed them a couple of kg of fondant above the crown board or even a small amount in a poly bag on the top of frames if it really gets cold so it is nearer the cluster, replace when eaten

as soon as we get a warm spring week, i would then feed 1:2 syrup in a 1lb jar contact feeder each week

An answer with no condescension, brilliant! makes life worth living!;)

An answer with no condescension, brilliant! makes life worth living!;)

I took up bee-keeping seven years ago as my job was rather stressful and i had high blood pressure negotiating million pound development deals and dealing with obnoxious people

My doctor said, do something calming like beekeeping, tell it to the bees

if only he knew, this forum is sometime a mirrors of my day job,

Well thakyou kindly for all the advice, I've attempted to make some fondant of my own the last of a bag of sugar I had, given the amount of work required I will look into purchasing more rather than spending hours making the stuff. From what I've read elsewhere on the forum it appears to be quite cheap, although I do have one question,

Is any baker's fondant acceptable or are there certain ingrediants I need to check for? (I've read that fondant that has cream of tartar added to it is not very good for the bees)

Thanks again
Frith

P.S. I didn't intend for my post to start a war!!

I made my first 2kg batch of fondant yesterday and while it wasn't difficult, I will definitely be getting a block of it ASAP. There is very little cost saving, but until I can get a Bako style block, I would continue to make it.

Don't be put off because it sounds difficult; it isn't. I have a jam thermometer, but it is notoriously inaccurate, so I generally judge by eye and with jam, you can do the drop on a cold plate or even into a cup of water like toffee.

It is a bit more gooey than the 0.5kg I bought from Tesco as an emergency, but it is of the correct consistency and the crystals are small.

I suppose it depends how much you need and how much time you have to do it, but I make my own up, not difficult. Only hve three colonies, and they had a fair amount stored. I usually put 2kg in and leave them to it, if they empty the container, I put on another.

The fondant that I've made has set to a creamy paste, however it has some failry large crystals in it, can anyone tell me if this means that I've got something that might harm the bees?
I'm only asking as I've read that letting water continue to boil as you add sugar for sugarsyrup can cause it to crystalize and invert the sugars which can be toxic for the bees, I'm not quite sure of the chemical processes in the making of the fondant and want to make sure I'm not going to poison my lovely ladiesbee-smillie

As usual some are either totally confused or demonstrating plain stupidity and inability to read.

My post #10, part of which was addressed to 'borderer', should have made it clear, but it seems to have been thought it was all addressed to another; it was then misread or the relevant content ignored. I will not further waste my time answering snide little questions with no relevance to the thread (Frithgar has 4 colonies, a couple of which should likely have been united much earlier. In fact my gut feeling was they should never have been started, but that is for frithgar to ponder in the light of experience).

Selectivity (in what one reads from the posts) and irrelevant postings does not make one much of a positive contributor.

In fact yesterday afternoon I browsed dismop's last 100 postings. I didn't find a lot of useful content at all, really. A lot of one liners, idle gossip - and with very few helpful posts.

I also looked at mine. Biased, I admit, but there were many more useful postings with explanations, where thought necessary for clarity, and arguments for, or against, any particular course of action suggested.

Quoting incorrect and misleading 'facts' seems to be dishmop's real forte. I was thinking here (as one example) of the book in the US (which wasn't even the one being referred to in the text) being offered for $200, whilst there were books actually in Britain for just 9 quid upwards. Really useful advice for any new beeks who might think they are reading good advice! A book on epay selling for twenty quid when some on amazon were just 3 quid. Yes, really sensible use of funds - I am open to offers IRO one hundred thousand pounds for my Morris Minor.

I declined to post further because the information was already posted, relevant to that thread, and if the poster had PM'ed me I would have explained to them. Like I ignored johna when he pointed out a spelling error some pages later in a thread. Like I ignore tbhnot2b, who simply snipes at every opportunity (probably after being demonstrated to be exaggerating, by trying to change 2 x 4.5MW turbines into 3200 x 1MW ones, or something like that).

When some can logically demonstrate a point, without contradicting earlier postings or blatant exaggeration (like johna - profile says beekeeper for 30 years, postings read 40 years (when it suits) - those 'some' might get a little credence accepted by the ardent learners on the forum.

Until then, I would suggest some of these posters should get themselves a basic beekeeping book and actually read it. They might then be able to progress to something more technical - like 'beekeeping for d*****s'.

I hope I make myself clear.

Latest posts

Back