What to Expect & Plan for my first Hive/s

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olipearce1987

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi All,

I hope everyone is well! I am new hear so apologies, if my terminology is off.

We run a smallholdings and sell a number of differing products and ranges from Goats Milk Soap to duck eggs etc. We are looking to add a hive (long term a few) to our land to start to offer some honey products in addition to what we already offer. This will not be the main thing, but what we hope is a nice addition to what we already produce and sell!

My questions are:

1. Once established, how much honey on average can we expect per hive annually? Would 25-50 lbs be a good estimate for working our numbers?

2. Are there any additional items which anyone would recommend selling/producing, such as Wax products, pollen supplements, mead etc?

I really appreciate your input and thoughts!

Thanks, Oli

Hi Ollie. Well done on thinking of plunging into beeping.
Honey? How long is a piece of string? Depends on local forage and weather.
In 2018 my colonies gave me in excess of 200lb per hive. The summer was long and glorious.
Last spring I got maybe 150 then the weather plunged off a cliff and I got no summer honey.
This year it rained from June last to June this and I was feeding bees in May. A miracle happened and the bees managed 100lb each. Some years it’s been 50. One year it was nothing.
2. Are there any additional items which anyone would recommend selling/producing, such as Wax products, pollen supplements, mead etc?
Candles are good but once you are into skin products and food supplements there are lots of regulatory hops to jump through.
Alcohol? Even worse.
I hear rum is the new Gin.

Before laying out any money, I suggest you join you local bee association and sign up for their new years beginners course and actually get to handle some bees. Bees are livestock, just like your goats etc, and take some knowledge to look after well. This is a fascinating hobby and I hope you enjoy it

I can't think of anyone I know personally, making money from bees over the long term, who didn't start from the perspective of loving the bees first and foremost. Subtle point to consider but an important one.

Latest posts

Back