What to do

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dto001

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

Here's the issue due to work I was away and on checking my hives when I got back I found that one has swarmed (maybe more than once)and has opened queen cells there are no signs of any eggs and the other has 3 capped queen cells now the question is should I split the one with the queen cells or just break them down (I've seen the queen) or should I add this cell to the other hive? Or should I try get a mated queen? (I was hoping to get a small bit of honey this year but it looks like it won't happen)
Any constructive advice would great?

Cheers

Breaking down queen cells will not quell the swarm urge, so you need to do an AS on the one with the queen. If the hives had markedly different temperament or other qualities, like laying rate of queen, then you could use queen cells from that colony to requeen both colonies. I would knock the queen cells down to one in each hive that is queen less and let the bees get on with requeeening. Alternatively if you have enough bees and you want to expand your colonies you could make up a nucs each containing a qc. however do not get too greedy.
Sorry,mreading your OP again you say " opened" queen cells rather than "open ". So you likely have a virgin in there. Do an AS on the other one or that queen will go and since the cells are sealed, she will be off anytime now.
I allow up to 21 days after emergence for a new queen to start laying . If nothing then I use a test frame.
Rarely do I buy in. Still got time for a small crop

Last edited:
Hi all,

Here's the issue due to work I was away and on checking my hives when I got back I found that one has swarmed (maybe more than once)and has opened queen cells there are no signs of any eggs and the other has 3 capped queen cells now the question is should I split the one with the queen cells or just break them down (I've seen the queen) or should I add this cell to the other hive? Or should I try get a mated queen? (I was hoping to get a small bit of honey this year but it looks like it won't happen)
Any constructive advice would great?

Cheers

The first hive with open/uncapped Queen cells.. ??? . could contain a emerged Virgin Queen, personally i would leave it alone for two weeks and see if a mated Queen starts laying.

If the other hive was mine i would do an artificial swarm of my choice, and when the swarming fever has calmed down splat one of the Queens in the Artificial swarm and unite the two back together over news paper ..

Last edited:
Cheers

I think I'll make a split and if needs be I can add a frame of eggs

I'll to the first hive which has swarmed but in a week or so if she hasn't started laying

Breaking down queen cells will not quell the swarm urge, so you need to do an AS on the one with the queen. If the hives had markedly different temperament or other qualities, like laying rate of queen, then you could use queen cells from that colony to requeen both colonies. I would knock the queen cells down to one in each hive that is queen less and let the bees get on with requeeening. Alternatively if you have enough bees and you want to expand your colonies you could make up a nucs each containing a qc. however do not get too greedy.
Sorry,mreading your OP again you say " opened" queen cells rather than "open ". So you likely have a virgin in there. Do an AS on the other one or that queen will go and since the cells are sealed, she will be off anytime now.
I allow up to 21 days after emergence for a new queen to start laying . If nothing then I use a test frame.
Rarely do I buy in. Still got time for a small crop
I agree
Its a good idea to use a test frame if there is no signs of Q+ 3 weeks after the expected date emergence.

Latest posts

Back