What to do with nuc?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferretgirl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi guys, haven't been on here for a while, don't get much time on the net these days!

I'm picking up my long awaited 6 frame nuc on thursday and wondered if someone could give me a step by step of how to get them safely into the hive? Or point me in the direction of a post that's already got the info on??

Is it ok to move them from the nuc to the hive at any time of day? I'm picking them up mid afternoon, will be back at the hive early evening time.

Am very excited, will be on here loads now...........want these ones to stay alive!

First of all calm down... if you can.

Set up your hive. Put a frame of foundation next to a wall, then put in your 6 frames, and fill the gap with foundation. Check nuc box for queen if nto already seen.

Rab nuc box to dislodge rest of bees into new hive.

Put on crown board, then roof and say good night.

Leave a week.

Enjoy and good luck.

PH

Oh, i thought it'd be more complicated than that, thought i'd have to do the hole board and white cloth sloping up to the front door!

So when i put 1 frame against a wall and then the 6 bought frames, does it matter whether it's the front or back?

First of all calm down... if you can.

Set up your hive. Put a frame of foundation next to a wall, then put in your 6 frames, and fill the gap with foundation. Check nuc box for queen if nto already seen.

Rab nuc box to dislodge rest of bees into new hive.

Put on crown board, then roof and say good night.

Leave a week.

Enjoy and good luck.

PH

Sweet PH, a chapter in a paragraph and comforting words to boot - you should take up councelling!

Last edited:
PH sounds like a nice guy. Wonder if thats why he's had 3 prime swarms this year? Maybe I should try nice. Nah.

Aye Keith but I have three and you have none.... LOL

PH

I would say: Are they in a decent nuc box or hive? If they are, leave them in the box for a day or two, to settle in, with the box in the position the hive will take up.

When they are flying for forage you can transfer the frames at your, and the bees, convenience, without having to handle all the extra flying bees (which should be out foraging.

Regards, RAB

I would say: Are they in a decent nuc box or hive? If they are, leave them in the box for a day or two, to settle in, with the box in the position the hive will take up.

When they are flying for forage you can transfer the frames at your, and the bees, convenience, without having to handle all the extra flying bees (which should be out foraging.

Regards, RAB

:iagree:

As the bees have already been moved and are used to the box. Gives them a chance to get used to the location.

Then follow PH's guide to hiving a Nuc.

Oh, i thought it'd be more complicated than that, thought i'd have to do the hole board and white cloth sloping up to the front door!

So when i put 1 frame against a wall and then the 6 bought frames, does it matter whether it's the front or back?

either at the back for warm way or to one side if cold way frames

i leave them to settle over night before puting in a hive

Thanks for the help guys! They were in a decent nuc box, so as you advised I've left them in that in the position of the hive and am going to transfer them over to the hive today!

Wish me luck!!!

Thanks for all the help!

I will let you know how it goes!

Sorry I've not been on earlier with my update!

I did as instructed, put in new frames and the nuc frames in the order they were in in the nuc! It all went very well I think! They seem of really good temperament!

I thought I saw the queen coz there was one huge bee that stood out from the rest in the middle of a frame, so put it straight into the hive, but then realised it was a drone coz it's wings met the end of it abdomen, so didn't actually see the queen!

I didn't fiddle with them too much except moving the frames into the hive and trying to drop the remaining bee's from the bottom of the nuc into the hive.......god they're persistant little buggers aren't they, they weren't for moving! But I eventually got them all out, closed the hive up and watched them flying in and out of the entrance which was very satisfying in itself!

So as advised, I'm leaving them to settle for the week and will be returning on Friday to check how they're doing.

How soon till I'll have to give them a super?? Is it just when they've started filling the 5 new frames that I gave them??

Latest posts

Back