What to do with a small queenless nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busybee123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a small queenless nuc (it was a split I took off another colony and it did have a queen cell in, but the virgin queen - assuming there ever was one - has gone awol). It is only 2-3 frames of bees and has been queenless for nearly 7 weeks. It has no brood and the youngest bees are about 3-4 weeks old.

I posted a message elsewhere on this forum looking for a queen for it, but today I spoke to an experienced beek who advised me that putting a new queen in such a small nuc with only 2-3 frames of adult bees would be a waste of time. His advice was to unite it with another colony of just forget about it.

I would be interested in knowing what you think.

Which option would you go for?

1. Try to introduce a new queen

2. Unite it with another colony

3. Forget about it and let it die

I would like to try option 1

If I have to I'll go for option 2.

I don't like option 3!

Shake them out in front of some other hives on a nice day.

Busy

After 7 weeks I can only assume they're still in the nuc because it's been non-stop raining outside.

As above, shake them in front of another hive.

Follow the advice of the experienced beek.

Hivemaker's suggestion is easier and there would be no need for a test frame to prove it is Q- and possible laying workers would not present a problem. In your case (presumably with just the one other colony) the effect would be the same as uniting, as long as the hives were close together at the time. Tip them out and remove the hive.

Option 1. would really need extra bees to reinforce the colony - the wasps will likely be about before there is much chance to build up numbers. You may be weakening your other colony in the process and finish with two problems instead of just the one.

Regards, RAB

Ok Thanks for your replies.

Everyone seems to be in agreement (there's always a first time..:))

I'll shake 'em out or unite them.

Thanks.

Back