What shrub is this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is an evergreen shrub with varigated green and yellow leaves mostly green which are abour 1" long. The shrub is about 12ft tall. For the last few days the bees have been very busy foraging in it. I would like to plant one or two of these shrubs in a new site l have .

Skimmea the bees love it , the spelling won't be correct:)

John Wilkinson

Sorry, definitely not skimmia. Possibly box (buxus) although 1" sounds rather long for the leaves- I would expect 3/8-1/2". If it is, it roots really easily. Box are slow growing, but can get big eventually.

Sorry, definitely not skimmia. Possibly box (buxus) although 1" sounds rather long for the leaves- I would expect 3/8-1/2". If it is, it roots really easily. Box are slow growing, but can get big eventually.

I have box, the flowers are bluish, very small and appear later in the season ?

Box is evergreen easily rooted , once it gets going it will stand drastic pruning and can reach quite a height . There is a miniature variety however.
I stand corrected on the skimia :blush5:

John Wilkinson

I cannot quite remember what it is but know I have seen it and thought it quite a common hedging plant - even a variety of privet? Could it be lonicera nitida (evergreen honeysuckle shrub not climber?) That has creamy flowers. It looked as though there were also some ceonothus leaves behind the lighter ones?
tricia

It looks a bit like like a variegated privet, definately not lonicera nitida.

Just popped out to look at the plant I think of as variegated privet, it looks very similar. Mine has buds but no flowers yet. I'm not entirely convinced it's privet because it flowers later in the year??

Why not dig around the roots and see if you can get some rooted chinaman's cuttings off it
Cazza

I have box, the flowers are bluish, very small and appear later in the season ?

John Wilkinson

From hedging.co.uk, on box- 'Small tufty yellow flowers appear from late winter.' Not sure what youve got, I'm sticking with box.

Do the leaves give off a scent in summer?

From hedging.co.uk, on box- 'Small tufty yellow flowers appear from late winter.' Not sure what youve got, I'm sticking with box.

Do the leaves give off a scent in summer?
Yep , It's box alright but then again there are a few cultivars :)

John W.

Any chance you could post a pic? I'm consumed with curiosity now.

ALIM0082-1.jpg

Picture taken this afternoon, no flowers , it was clipped late Summer.
Ignore the Alder cones they were transported there courtesy of the winter gales :D

John W.

Well, now I am flummoxed. The leaves look very box like, but the blue flower throws me. Any chance you could post another pic when it's in flower?

(don't worry, I probably will have forgotten by then) :)

Well, now I am flummoxed. The leaves look very box like, but the blue flower throws me. Any chance you could post another pic when it's in flower?

(don't worry, I probably will have forgotten by then) :)

Forgotten what!!:nopity:

John Wilkinson

sure its not a privet or box, I have some in my garden and a friend who i cant get hold of at the moment who told me the name. will find out today!

"you can get some rooted chinaman's cuttings off it"

Ce ?

Still doesn't have blue flowers!

sorry skyhook was refering to the first set of pictures the second lot look like some form of oelearia to me. (not sure of spelling for that one!) privet can have the blueish flowers, but this one looks to fleshy in the stem for privet.

Latest posts

Back