What should a nucleus contain when bought?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxing

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Apart from some frames with foundation what 'livestock' should one expect to get when buying a nuke, please?

I would expect a queen, three or four frames of brood in various states and a suitable covering of nurse bees and some foragers. Also some stores and an indication as to their treatment for Varroa etc.

Sam

When I do nucs I always prepare them for a beginner. I have 3 frames of brood, 1 frame of stores and 1 frame of foundation. Because I include a good quality wooden nuc box I am assuming that the beginner may not necessarily have an empty hive waiting to simply transfer the nuc frames into the hive. Because of this I include a frame of foundation to which makes sure that the bees have sufficient space.

I have known some beginners to buy a nuc with 3 frames of brood and 2 frames with stores, they keep them in the nuc box for a couple of weeks and the bees start building queen cells. And no, this is not a commercial as I have no nucs available for 2011.

A young, healthy, laying queen, preferably marked and reasonably settled in (ie. not just slung into the nuc box and bunged off in the post the minute she laid her first egg);

At least three frames with brood on well over half the frame;

At least two frames with stores (honey/nectar and pollen) on well over half the frame. Expect more liquid stores than actual pollen;

At least four of the frames totally covered with bees;

A heavy feel to the nuc;

A reasonably clean look to the frames - bits of propolis are fine, but not blackened comb or darkened, mouldy-looking frames;

A clean look to the box, whatever it's made of: no mould, grungy layer of dead mites, old cocoons, buildup of mouldy old damp pollen bits etc.;

Calm, healthy, preoccupied-looking bees that don't divebomb you or rise up furiously when you open the lid, or crawl about aimlessly around the entrance. No mangled-looking wings or runny droppings all over the box. No hangers-on (obvious mites on the bees or wax moth cocoons in a nuc would both put me off).

I would also prefer locally-sourced bees which have had a chance to grow up with the nuc rather than a recently-mixed package, and a locally-bred queen. Unfortunately that's not always easy to find.

When I do nucs I always prepare them for a beginner. I have 3 frames of brood, 1 frame of stores and 1 frame of foundation. Because I include a good quality wooden nuc box I am assuming that the beginner may not necessarily have an empty hive waiting to simply transfer the nuc frames into the hive. Because of this I include a frame of foundation to which makes sure that the bees have sufficient space.

I have known some beginners to buy a nuc with 3 frames of brood and 2 frames with stores, they keep them in the nuc box for a couple of weeks and the bees start building queen cells. And no, this is not a commercial as I have no nucs available for 2011.

Good point. My assumption was that a bought nuc would be intended for starting a hive fairly soon after purchase. An empty frame would be good if the nuc was destined to stay in its box for quite a while.

Apart from some frames with foundation what 'livestock' should one expect to get when buying a nuke, please?

Only thing I'd add to what's already been suggested is an invitation to inspect the nuc before you hand over any cash.

Latest posts

Back