What preservative

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it is not.

Well I withdraw my comment.:sorry:

One of our jobs as small boys was dipping boxes in a tray of creosote. We were in trouble if we let any run on the insides.

Sixty odd years later my brother and I are both still alive!

I use boiled linseed oil on my hives. Easy to apply with a brush or cloth and 2 coats will last for a long time. Will darken the wood slightly, give the hives a slight amber tinge. Can be used inside the hives as well as on the outside.
Use boiled linseed rather than raw otherwise it will take forever to dry.
Andy

Hivemaker is correct. You can buy it but the supplier is not allowed to decant it into smaller quantities so you will probably have to buy something like a 50 gallon container.
Andy

Around here real creosote is still on sale in 20ltr containers from farm supply stores.

We used to thin it with red diesel to spray the chicken houses for red mite whilst they were empty, the smell went before the first eggs arrived from the new birds. It was frowned upon but worked a treat and was cheap.

Tim

So are mobile phones...and you stick them in yer ear.

And don't forget diesel particulates among other things, lot of them around.

Dont think I have ever stuck any phone in my ear

I use Ronseal Wood Hardener for Wet Rot for the soft edges of hives (pallet wood) and any areas of really soft absorbent wood (altho' I try if possible to avoid using it on external surfaces.)

Then Cuprinol Garden Shades or Veggie oil (cheaper than Linseed) and melted wax mix - lovely smell..

creosote is not banned ...

That's for sure - anyone driving into Boston on the A16 (from Spalding etc) is treated to a tremendous whiff of the stuff as they pass the storage yard of Calders and Grandidge - suppliers of telegraph poles to the nobility.

(I kid you not - they've even got a Royal Warrant at the foot of their webpage: http://www.caldersandgrandidge.com/)

LJ

I have used a mix of creosote and old engine oil to preserve beehives .
Cough bottles used to contain creosote ,( probably still do .bp)
Coach framework parts (ash timber) was submerged in creosote for months before use.
Pit props were preserved thus; a cylinder containing creosote was clamped to the end of the larger props a piston was actuated by hydraulic pressure, first thing that happened was the emission of sap from opposite end, followed by creosote at which point the hydraulics were switched off.
These props had now had the sap replaced by creosote and were used in the confines of underground tunnels !
The carcinogenic properties of the creosote was the last thing on the mind of the collier!
VM

These props had now had the sap replaced by creosote and were used in the confines of underground tunnels !
The carcinogenic properties of the creosote was the last thing on the mind of the collier!
VM

Probably more concerned about whether the bloke next to him had a Vindaloo last night or not ...

LJ

Latest posts

Back