what % of a frame should be capped before extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Microscopes to do this are cheap and most associations and many beekeepers have them (I have sourced about 15 for members in our tiny local association in the last year alone). Nosema analysis at 400x is very easy to do and we had complete beginners on microscopes performing their own analysis and knowing what to do on a 'new' scope in 15mins. Analyse first, treat later if needed.

if I don't treat this colony, I may have the issue spreading to my other colonies, that would be irresponsible.

As is not knowing what is the correct diagnosis surely.

Send a sample to NBU. bee inspector visit.

I too, will give you a quote:

Diagnosis
Nosema diagnosis can be carried out using a microscope with X 400 magnification. Collect about 30 bees and mash the abdomens in a pestle and mortar with a few drops of water. Deliver a single drop of the resulting soup onto a microscope slide and put on a cover. Under the microscope look for little pale rice shaped grains that are Nosema spores. There is little difference to be seen between N. apis and N. ceranae spores, if you need to know send a sample to the NBU for analysis.

From

http://www.bee-craft.com/beekeeping-information/expert-beekeeping/nosema-disease/

I seem to remember that you passed your basic. Where you took your course must surely have microscopes. If not, pretty poor, leave and find association that has.

My association is having everybody bring in 30 bees at end of summer to discover nosema - a simple procedure.

Be responsible and don't treat without knowing what you are treating.

These creatures have enough rubbish poured over them without adding to their angst, the likelihood of resistance, 'I think it could be this so I'll dose them'.

As said read more and look on here before afflicting your bees with possible incorrect treatments.

The bees rely on YOU and are powerless to avoid what you do to them.

There are always a thousand reasons why not and only one why.

By the way, the nosema testing at our association is being done by a young lad of 11.

Last edited:
good news, after 'phoning around I've got the use of a decent microscope tomorrow.

I'm not planning to extract until the first week of September... That gives the bees the chance to cap all the frames, and means that you do not miss out on any late summer honey flows.

With the later autumns we are having there is also no issue about fitting in an apiguard treatment, and feeding the colony before winter - even if you extract last week of Aug/first week of Sep...

Ben P

I didn#t mean to stir up a hornet's nest about treating for Nosema. Just interested as I have a hive, who haven't performed as well as their peers, and have also supercedured a couple of times this year.
Looks like I ought to take a sample and try and find a microscope. Our association does not have one, but perhaps I ought to put it on the shopping list, as it sounds like an excellent idea, to get everyone in the association to bring a sample of bees in and test for it.

I didn#t mean to stir up a hornet's nest about treating for Nosema. Just interested as I have a hive, who haven't performed as well as their peers, and have also supercedured a couple of times this year.
Looks like I ought to take a sample and try and find a microscope. Our association does not have one, but perhaps I ought to put it on the shopping list, as it sounds like an excellent idea, to get everyone in the association to bring a sample of bees in and test for it.

our assoc has an annual nosema evening when they set up several microscopes - one linked to a laptop for clear pics - and members can bring a sample of bees and test, very interesting and informative. I had the dubious honour of a colony showing the highest infection level and my slide was shown to all :( it is a very productive colony :)

Latest posts

Back