What is your worst experience re: bee behaviour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first bee’s that I got was a five story hive ,that had been advertised for free in some magazine. When I say five stories it was a commercial hive with four supers on, and no queen excluder. We had no way of moving them except in the back an estate car, so the hive had to be split in two, in order to get it into the car(by two novices). Spare roof and floor ready, we smoked the hive, inserted the hive tool in between the brood chamber and supers, cracked open a gap to get our fingers in, when all hell broke loose. Bees poured out of the gap like black oil out of a barrel, and we learned about five years of beekeeping in the next five seconds. The farmer ran for the house and all cattle that had come over for a look, took off for the next parish with tails in the air, while we were left to battle on with what we had started. They were that bad that in order to get rid of the bees, we had to drive laps around a twenty acre field with the windows and boot open, stopping every time in the far corner of the field to try and brush the bees off each other, while back at the hive they just getting ready for round two.
Never had a hive like them since.

Brilliant!
:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014

Last edited:
Why do we do it? Seriously, why do we do it? LOL :p

dropping a frame slighty really pisses them off

the two worst incidents for me is going for wizz to close to an apairy and yes i did get stung on it, i had to have a cathader for three days to go to the loo and the first time i went to a friends farm to have a look at some "bad" bees, that day ended with 3 gallon of diesel and a bottle of petrol thrown from 30 yards away and then we spent the night in the local cottage hospital with shock from all the stings we recieved

the two worst incidents for me is going for wizz to close to an apairy and yes i did get stung on it, i had to have a cathader for three days to go to the loo and the first time i went to a friends farm to have a look at some "bad" bees, that day ended with 3 gallon of diesel and a bottle of petrol thrown from 30 yards away and then we spent the night in the local cottage hospital with shock from all the stings we recieved

Ouch!! OUCH!! I was thinking - would I still want to keep bees after all that? - and I'm sort of thinking, probably :eek:

I think we may be lacking the common sense gene that normal, non bee keeping people may have lol, either that or are just pretty fearless ;)

Forgetting to do my veil up when inspecting my 'asbo bees' last year. About 50 ended up in the hood resulting with me doing the 'comedy run' (running away discarding clothing as quick as possible) across the farm.

I am also still waiting on my first comedy run too heh heh :p

July Year 2 of my beeking I had 2 colonies and thought both were Q- as no eggs for 4 weeks. I bought a nuc so I wouldnt be bee less. It was langstroth so I did a shook swarm to get it into a National. As I shook a frame, I saw the marked Q fly off. I thought I was Q less again after spending £100 or so. Really, really depressing!
However 2 days later I saw pollen coming in to all 3 and opened them up to find eggs in each one. The marked Q was present so must have just flown straight back in and the other 2 obviously had Queens that just hadnt started laying. I was happy again.
Incidentally, that was so depressing that I resolved to get a lot of colonies to make sure it was unlikely for me to lose all my bees. Currently I have 20.

5 sting to the head run like a mad man but i still love them they where in side to just out zip not shut
the hive was re queen

It's good to know I'm not the only one who finds all this queen business difficult. Saying that, I kind of knew the day I saw them all over the hive front and the frame missing....something told me she'd gone. I just had to keep inspecting to confirm it.

I have my route planned in case I need to make the comedy run for it lol, fingers crossed that day won't come anytime soon :p

the sting on the manhood was purely based on a young man drinking far to much home based cider the night before,, feeling very rough and very sssssslllllllllloooooooowwwwwww, and then going to an apiary

with an almighty thick head

as for run away screaming like a little girl with pig tails whilst doing to hedgerow pete version of river dance with a little ben johnson speed moves thrown in for good measure, i found a massive wasp nest one day whilst i was rotavating the allotment, or should that read i rotavated a wasp nest whilst at the allotment.

any way i was going along and suddenly thought ," ouch my legs hurt"

to then look down to find i was wearing orange strippy leg warmers below my shorts on my bare legs.

thats when i took up the river dance challenge run. never has a fat bloke moved so quick for so long down a field.

never has a fat bloke moved so quick for so long down a field.

I cried laughing at that, so much so my kids wanted to know what I was laughing at.....they laughed too :p

Thanks for the Sunday morning amusement.....sorry about the stripy socks though ;)

My first bee’s that I got was a five story hive ,that had been advertised for free in some magazine. When I say five stories it was a commercial hive with four supers on, and no queen excluder. We had no way of moving them except in the back an estate car, so the hive had to be split in two, in order to get it into the car(by two novices). Spare roof and floor ready, we smoked the hive, inserted the hive tool in between the brood chamber and supers, cracked open a gap to get our fingers in, when all hell broke loose. Bees poured out of the gap like black oil out of a barrel, and we learned about five years of beekeeping in the next five seconds. The farmer ran for the house and all cattle that had come over for a look, took off for the next parish with tails in the air, while we were left to battle on with what we had started. They were that bad that in order to get rid of the bees, we had to drive laps around a twenty acre field with the windows and boot open, stopping every time in the far corner of the field to try and brush the bees off each other, while back at the hive they just getting ready for round two.
Never had a hive like them since.

Very Funny story. I knew before i looked at your profile that you were a fellow irishman just by reading it.

Latest posts

Back