What is this debris?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dani,

SHB's pose a huge problem in the south of USA. I have not treated my stock for v. mites for two decades now, but I' ve lost quite a few to SHB's regularly. It is now next to impossible to make splits in summer; the splits becoming a smorgasbord for the SHB.......Given how bee pathogens are propagated throughout the world, I fear you too will get SHB's, given time, looking at how v. mites jumped from Apis Cerana thanks to global trade.

It was such a nice Sunday morning lie in. Now I am feeling really depressed!

Didn’t compose that post right! So just in case... it was such a nice Sunday morning lie in. Now I am feeling really depressed! Thanks Earthboy!

Dani,

SHB's pose a huge problem in the south of USA. I have not treated my stock for v. mites for two decades now, but I' ve lost quite a few to SHB's regularly. It is now next to impossible to make splits in summer; the splits becoming a smorgasbord for the SHB. Typically, as the nucs expand, their numbers are still limited so they cannot patrol the newly filled (nectar and pollen) combs, areas that are vulnerable for SHB invasion. Unchecked, SHB's can wipe out a strong colony in three days. Some colonies abscond even in November, hopelessly. Given how bee pathogens are propagated throughout the world, I fear you too will get SHB's, given time, looking at how v. mites jumped from Apis Cerana thanks to global trade.

You may find the references at the bottom of this page useful.
Are you a member of the Coloss working group on aethina tumida? If so, you may know of Bram Cornelissen and his work in Italy

You may find the references at the bottom of this page useful.
Are you a member of the Coloss working group on aethina tumida? If so, you may know of Bram Cornelissen and his work in Italy
Thanks for the reference. On this side of the pond, we too have very extensive researches on SHB, most of which I am rather familiar with.

Didn’t compose that post right! So just in case... it was such a nice Sunday morning lie in. Now I am feeling really depressed! Thanks Earthboy!
My apologies for causing depression. It seems whatever we do to control nature, nature fights right back. I am told the Isle is free of SHB for now, but given your history of importing bees, I am very afraid it might not be. Not wishing you ill will but knowing the patterns of bee pathogen spread in the globe. To ring the neck of rhetoric, it appears all living organisms are in a constant arms race, and we are just barely one step ahead. The armistice will come when the host and the pathogen reach an equilibrium of sort, the innate ability to cohabit, because if a pathogen wipes out its host, that would be suicidal, as well. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back