Can you see any varroa?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italic63

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hi from Italy everyone. Finally winter is ending. Had a quick look at the bottom board after the winter. Before cleaning out I thought I would take the attached pictures...
I treated towards the end of November work sublimated ossalic (although I couldn't see any varroa visually but then this is my first year). The family was too small to do a varroa count so I treated anyway.
Can anyone spot any varroa amongst all the wax etc?
Thanks in advance
PS I cleaned the bottom board a few days after treatment.98A34E38-702E-48AE-879D-5C04144E70AF.jpegB1208F68-760B-4743-AABD-184486536A42.jpeg52255DC0-9D20-4AB9-A1E6-F0A7FA585784.jpeg4B86A014-33B7-4198-978D-ABF5DAD8012B.jpeg

Not many, but seeing varroa on that background (or indeed under it) is very difficult, so doesn't prove much sadly.

Best to clean it, oil it, then put it back in for 48 hours, then do a count.

Yes that's what I thought... Will be doing as you suggest as soon as we get dune better weather. It's cold again this week.
Thanks for your reply

No particular reason except that it's raining all week here and they predict a little sunshine in Saturday. Might do it tomorrow though if there's a break in the weather.

No particular reason except that it's raining all week here and they predict a little sunshine in Saturday. Might do it tomorrow though if there's a break in the weather.

Varroa fall during rain just as much as they do in sunshine though? You don't need to open the hive, after all ... ?

Hi Boston (and others).
So I cleaned it up and put oiled parchment paper down yesterday at 3pm. I'll take a look same time tomorrow, do a count and post some pictures.
Thanks again

Latest posts

Back