What is the hottest syrup that's safe for bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to overheat the syrup and spoil the sugar content? What temp is nectar when bees collect it?

You should try, how to do it.

Nectar temp is same as Air temp. Then the temp rises iside the bee to 36C when it return to the hive.

Bees have difficulties to forage nectar under temp of 18C.

Syrup feeding is the most easy thing in beekeeping, but when you read this chain, it is about impossible to do.

After 53 years feeding I have been been wrong in every opinion.

Post Scriptum..... I disagree Hivenmaker's way to heat syrup with pan. I would drop hot stones to syrup. That is the way how original Welsh cave men heated their syrup after Ice Ace when they nursed native local bees on tundra. Honey was important when they trapped bears on tundra and ate its flesh full of trichinens.

Last edited:
I tell a story about Finnish Winter war with Russia. Heating systems...

It was very cold on front, -40C.
A Finnish soldier asked from his friend, would you have some pea soup?
- Of course!
- That was good! From where you got it?
- from that Russian's stomach...
The soup came up and the soldier put a plate under the cascade
- Thanks for warming it up!

How is your autumn going there? Trees here are turning yellow now with speed and after one week they use to fall down.

Warmest September on record. Excellent for late bee work, but very dry as well. Very low varroa loads this year. Treated in August 2014, and hardly seen a mite all summer. Our peak foliage color is about October 12 (Columbus Day here). Not much change yet, but cold weather is overdue and could come crashing down on us soon.

Latest posts

Back