What is sustainable beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remembered there is no point bothering.

Last edited:
Fairytales are never wrong. They are usefull in their all forms.

150+ years of imports.
A native stock decimated 100 years ago.
Average figures for queen imports seem to be around 15,000 a year in recent years.

How can that leave a stock unchanged since an ice age ?
The only fairy tale is between your ears.

Like i say not worth bothering. You don't listen.

Yes, so it has happened as you write.

Those Ice Ace stories are from Icanhobit. When it was Ice Ace, nearest AMM bees were in Africa.

I'd read that during the last ice age Amm wouldn't have had to retreat further than some sheltered valleys in the dordogne, not sure if there's diffinitive evidence to support this but it seemed plausible to me.

I'd read that during the last ice age Amm wouldn't have had to retreat further than some sheltered valleys in the dordogne, not sure if there's diffinitive evidence to support this but it seemed plausible to me.

If you look illustrations of the vegetation of Europe during Ice Age, bees do not live on tundra or on steppe, and not even close the tundra. Lets accept that Tamar Valley is one of them, to where Baski Cave Men brought their first bee hives from Africa.

It has no practical meaning, are these fairytales true or not. Modern beekeeping has more fairytales than facts. Mere advertising products make fairytales. Healing wounds and what ever.

c2f79cf6aed75c6ef7a6213f448b018b.jpg

Last edited:
Ho Ho Ho Finnie my sweet little snow pixie... did they not teach you about Tectonic plates and continental drift?
Makes you map from the Cretaceous a bit out of date.....

And we are still in the last ice age!!!

Nos da

For me as a novice, hobby bee keeper I would say that sustainable beekeeping would be looking after my bees with little out of pocket experience.
Appreciate setting up and getting started will cost, what hobby doesn't? But if I can produce a little honey to sell then that money will go back into looking after my bees. For me it's about giving the bees a help in hand and an interest for my daughter who loves being involved when on the allotment.

I looked yesterday from utube "sustainable oil palm cultivation". It seemed that crop is on high level every year. Lots of chemical and biological knowledge is used.

I have, some great ideas in there, well worth watching!

Have you looked at Michael Palmers videos?

Yeah. The backround of Palmer's teaching is the habits in USA to keep bees.
Biggest differences are compared to Finland is

- insulated brood boxes the whole year
- insulated nuc boxes

- Summer is there longer. No way to cultivate maize here. We should need 2 months more grow period. No time to make spring splits if you want honey.

- I have reared queens and made nucs whole my life

- his 500 mating nucs compared to my 15 mating nucs.

- biggest colonies are brood factories with their patty feeding and electrict heating. Build up is 3 fold compared to natural system. Brooding starts one brood cycle earlier than natural.

My biggest problem is varroa. I must have broodless period in late half of July. Recent treatment system is unsustainable.

Last edited:
You point out all the differences between your conditions and his but you don't appear to accept the differences that apply in the UK.

IT is not a secret that everything in Wales is different. Is it necessary to say?

Last edited:
You saying that beekeeping in other countries can be different to that in Finland?
!!

I have never said that. You must understand that by your self without saying. Even in Finland guys nurse their bees with 50 ways.

But most I have learned from US beekeeping, because they have really many universities to study facts about beekeeping.

From Wales I have learned mere mocking. I wonder what they are doing with their bees.
Your boath have sustainable style to hate people.

Last edited:
- Summer is there longer. No way to cultivate maize here. We should need 2 months more grow period. No time to make spring splits if you want honey.

We can very well cultivate maize here, last summer for example there was a farmer in the neighbouring town cultivating maize. Not easy but can be done, we just have a lack in know-how and very bad summers lately. It will be more common in the years to come. Another thing is that we don't have harvesters for maize, only a handful in the country.

In Vermont where Palmer is beekeeping the winter is the same lenght as hours, cleansing flights the same weeks and winter feeding the same weeks. Winters have even been harder there the last few years than in southern Finland.
The summers are not longer, but have more sunny days in average during summer, this is why corn maize is easier the cultivate there.

Latest posts

Back