What is going on?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
apologies in advance if this is obvious, but I'm a new beekeeper and haven't seen this before. I watch the hive daily, and there has been plenty of coming and going,. pollen going in, but these two or three corpses were by the entrance this morning.
bees.jpg

As above, a few dead bees are normal.

In summer, when a hive may have 50,000 bees with an average lifespan of 6 weeks, the arithmetic says that an average 1,190 bees die every day.

Have you recently done an inspection.Often drone brood is broken/disturbed. Common when the bees clean up after the beekeepers😉 and at least the white pupae look drone although difficult to tell. Other than that maybe they had issues varroa/cold.

thank you everyone. I had a quick look on a warm day a week ago, and although I didn't see the queen, there was brood. It hasn't been that cold here apart from early morning frosts some days. I used apiguard last autumn, and looking on the varroa board this year there were a very few little beasties.
I am so loving having bees in the garden, but do find it pretty stressful as there is so much I don't know and I feel my practical skills are at a very early stage. This site is so good - post a query and within minutes you get help.

apologies in advance if this is obvious, but I'm a new beekeeper and haven't seen this before. I watch the hive daily, and there has been plenty of coming and going,. pollen going in, but these two or three corpses were by the entrance this morning.
View attachment 25255
Edible when deep fried too. Waste not - want not.:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Dennis our HK born beek in the LBKA eats them raw, not one of us was impressed with his bush tusker trial at the apiary many years ago. Needless to say know one else took up his offer to also try any.

Dennis our HK born beek in the LBKA eats them raw, not one of us was impressed with his bush tusker trial at the apiary many years ago. Needless to say know one else took up his offer to also try any.
All over the Far East they eat at all sorts of bugs with quite some relish. Lots of protein - unless you are vegan of course when you just remain skinny. :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

It’s when those bloody varroa get stuck between your teeth it’s annoying.

I am so loving having bees in the garden, but do find it pretty stressful as there is so much I don't know and I feel my practical skills are at a very early stage. This site is so good - post a query and within minutes you get help.
All true - I’m in my third summer, still get anxious about them. I’d strongly recommend a second colony. As well as giving you resources to solve some problems it lets you compare and get a better idea of normal.

thank you everyone. I had a quick look on a warm day a week ago, and although I didn't see the queen, there was brood. It hasn't been that cold here apart from early morning frosts some days. I used apiguard last autumn, and looking on the varroa board this year there were a very few little beasties.
I’ve only had bees since June last year so know exactly how you feel! I spent most of the winter worrying that they wouldn’t make it through until Spring (even to the extent of going out at 4am to put a strap round them during a storm) and even now, if I don’t see them flying in the morning, assume there’s a problem. And yes, there is tons to learn!

Latest posts

Back