What hives are these?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Can anybody tell me what the hives in the middle and on the right are.
There is a Nat on the left for comparison.
Thankyou :)

Last edited:
Or commercial brood boxes with national supers and a gabled roof to make them look prettier?

If they were would the boxes not be all the same size?

Yes.

I suspect some sort of lash-up- possibly someones take on a national or commercial with a WBC roof for example? Best check is the dimensions of the brood box.

I would go for Commercial. Look square, look the same size and about a foot and a half (Warre's are typically much smaller). Look as though brood is deeper. They are old, but not that 'olde', so less likely to be something really as exotic as a Warre!

RAB

Judging by the handles, floors, roofs and framed excluders I would guess a rampant diy-er at work so maybe a mongrel hive. Nice corner joints though, but even they are different on each hive.
What are the dimensions? It looks like the hives are occupied. Have you been inside to check frame sizes?

Last edited:
Looks like Langstroth deep brood boxes with medium supers above the queen excluders with an usual peaked roof.

Box on left is an imprpoved nash from National bee supplies, notice round logo bottom brood box.

Next is a home made Smiths type, notice dovetail joints on several boxes.

Next one is a smiths with some home made parts, again notice dovetail joints, ready boughts have box comb joints only.

White one is an old cottager hive.

Box on left is arean imprpoved nash from National bee supplies, notice round logo bottom brood box.

Next is a home made Smiths type, notice dovetail joints on several boxes.

Next one is a smiths with some home made parts, again notice dovetail joints, ready boughts have box comb joints only.

White one is an old cottager hive.

agree, i dont think the two non national hives are square so look like 10 frame Smith hives, top bee space ,short lugsu

Bottom box on the RH side hive looks liek a commercial as it has the usual hand holds machined into the sides.

It does look very tall though for a commercial.

Is there a prize for the right answer, and how will we be sure that it is the right answer? :rolleyes:

Is there a prize for the right answer, and how will we be sure that it is the right answer? :rolleyes:

:) :) No prize unless it's a jar of my first honey which will probably have cost me £500

Thanks, everybody. Husband and I went to have a look at a self sufficiency day at Sizergh Castle and they had these hives there. I think they are their own rather than imported for the day. There was nobody to ask. They were in a fenced compound and hubby commented they looked joiner made.
great place to keep bees, National trust gardens with masses of bee plants/trees.

They've been on local media several times.
They are the head gardener's and are permanent as far as I'm aware.

:) :) No prize unless it's a jar of my first honey which will probably have cost me £500

Thanks, everybody. Husband and I went to have a look at a self sufficiency day at Sizergh Castle and they had these hives there. I think they are their own rather than imported for the day. There was nobody to ask. They were in a fenced compound and hubby commented they looked joiner made.
great place to keep bees, National trust gardens with masses of bee plants/trees.

I went to the same school as the head gardners son many many years ago from Sizergh Castle.

The answer is....

I asked a National Trust contact to help solve the quiz. The answer from John Hawley, Head Gardener at Sizergh, is as follows:

"The hives in question are Langstroth. The two hives belong to a local bee keeper and have been in place for two years now. We have had the National hive for one year now. Over the coming years we aim to increase the number of hives we keep in the orchard."

So now we know! :)

Back