What hive type would you use?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
If you had no equipment what hive would you use? I have started beekeeping again using National as this was what I was used to 50 yrs ago. Having use Langstroth hives in the USA, I think I have made the wrong decision, but I will have to stay with my choice as I have bought and made a fare bit of National equipment.

Mike.

Ps I am getting bored with little to do hence this post to stimulate discussion!!!

I'd go Langstroth now, I like the frames.

I started with TBHs - hence very little sunk cost - and am gradually moving to Lansgtroths.
Reasons: honey, easier to manage, Top beespace and Jumbo langs mean no need for abominations like brood and a half or double brood..

Plus langs are easier to make..and there are lots of suppliers - and growing.

six of one, half a dozen of another, more options with a square box and I like 14x12 but nothing wrong with national standards. Also depends what strain of honey bees you keep

Nationals all the way, but not including any 14x12 boxes.

National deeps all one size box and frame.

Commercials - allows for bigger brood space, plus you can use the Nationals stuff you've got as dimensions are almost the same.

Nationals,
but that is because most of my assoc use them hence I can be assisted in emergencies.
I would be just as happy with Langs if everyone used those.

If you had no equipment what hive would you use? I have started beekeeping again using National as this was what I was used to 50 yrs ago. Having use Langstroth hives in the USA, I think I have made the wrong decision, but I will have to stay with my choice as I have bought and made a fare bit of National equipment.

Mike.

Ps I am getting bored with little to do hence this post to stimulate discussion!!!

If You intend to keep few hives and rest ( extra colonies) to sell, I would see what is the most used at your area, and then easily sell nucs, complete productive colonies.
I work with langs, cause they are most present here, cheap due to its high presence and many make these hives and parts for langs and competition lower the prices.

Goran

I was just interested in what other people thought. I may try some Langs on another site next year, but will use Nationals with either brood and a half or double brood this year. The langs are much simpler to make which is a consideration and even in this country they seem cheaper than Nationals.

Last edited:
Nationals, bottom beespace (don't see what all the fuss is about Top beespace TBH) I'd be just as happy with Langs (I did toy with the idea once) but probably if I started afresh I'd still plump for National deeps (none of this 14x12 extra deep mullarkey - them I do not like)

Goran

I was just interested in what other people thought. I may try some Langs on another site next year, but will use Nationals with either brood and a half or double brood this year. The langs are much simpler to make which is a consideration and even in this country they seem cheaper than Nationals.

Langstroth Ruth hive ( short LR) we call L(ako) R(adna) - on english "easy working" hive. For me it is really so, pretty simple.

I started with Nationals then changed to Langstroths. I wanted poly and a single brood box and at the time Langstroth was my only option. My bees need more than a single Langstroth box so not wanting to go double brood or brood and a half Langstoth I am going back to Nationals. I think they will be a bit easier to move to the Heather.

I may try some Langs on another site next year,

Or you could make an approx 90mm eke to fit under your deep boxes andbuy some 14 x 12 frames?

Or maybe two shallows with an approx 20mm eke?(although there would be the excessive gap halfway down the brood which might attract the bees' attention)

Two alternatives at little cost - no need for different sized roofs, floors, coverboards, supers - and easily converted back to deeps, if necessary.

I would likely stay with top bee space. 14 x 12 National or Langstroth. That was my choice when I chose 14 x12. Back then, there were no Langstroths in the local BKA. Further, Peterborough bought a pile of polylangs several years ago but they didn't seem that popular with beeks that were using them (new beeks that did courses there and started with these polys, I think).

I'm quite happy with my 14x12's.
Don't like short lugs, especially with big frames. Langstroths really aren't nice IMHO.

If I was tempted to try anything different, it'd be double-brood DN (National) BUT with 10-frame poly boxes. Lighter, and intermediate in size between brood and a half and double (11-frame) brood. Seems the smarter way to get the flexibility (freedom to play games with frame rearrangement) of double brood.
However, I don't like the idea of either the MB/BeeBox or the CWJ/Swienty.
So, I'm happy sticking with 14x12 until something better shows up.

Latest posts

Back