What do you bring on your nucs in?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job Ian,could you put a feed in the free space at the end if you wanted to?

I seal my feeder ends with mastic and syrup sits in there bonny as you like. Fondant of course works well in there too.

PH

Hi Admin

The piece of ply on the far right hand corner of the box is a float, so yes that gap makes a good feeder.

Poly please check the pics for a poly box with 11 frames:banghead:

Glad you liked my plans for the poly nuc's though.

Regards Ian

Last edited:
I believe you Ian though I canna see that pic just the nuc.

However I personally have been unable to get more than 10 in. *shrug*

PH

Hi

I told you it's those cheap Thornes seconds frames.:cheers2:

Regards Ian

Nope. Dinna buy them. Nor anything from there if I can avoid it.

PH

ok you lot stop messing about we ant talking proper bee nuc boxs , i was talking fish packing boxs, do a search through the old threads and see whats there, these were realy very very cheap boxs we aggred that they were to soft so the bees would eat them but with masonary paint linning they would do for sales or over wintering.

We recently went to the market shopping, the fruit & veg stalls have poly boxes used for broccoli, I've not measured them but they look about the right size, maybe slightly bigger than needed, would be easy to cut them to size and best of all they are free, we got two and are growing mushrooms in them :sifone:

Poly Boxes

The Aquatic outlets have a surplus of poly boxes used for shipping tropical fish that they have to destroy and dispose of, the one near us will usually let me have as many as I can carry if I put something in the charity box, I had'nt thought of trying to make nukes since I dont have any bees yet I just thougt they might be allright to make bait boxes for swarms next spring, if they get pinched its no great loss

I've got some ply nucs made from offcuts and bits from a skip. Rather than a felt roof, paint can be used if you put on a couple of layers of gloss. I have also used a piece of plastic coated tablecloth from the patio table with a nice picture of olives on it. These are fine for the summer. I think you need something a little better for a winter nuc.

Wood is heavy enough that you don't need a house brick on the top either!

wooden boxes out of reclaimed 3/4" by 5 and3/4" floor boards

two high for sides with inset 3/4"floor and roof..gives about 1 and 1/4 " for bee space below a standard frame...the top bars just 3/4" shoulder to floor plus 1/4" ply face to get width of frame end ....nail holes plug with putty

Latest posts

Back