What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets hope you never have to have a hernia fixed :oops:
Seriously....hope you're OK
Had my hernia fixed in summer. They just shaved one side. It looked rather odd, so I had to even it up later on!

Finished construction of my current batch of beehive bits. Just need to put some preservative on the outside edges now.

I've also been toying with the idea of using some old top bars to make a few "fat dummies". They're from frames that I rendered the wax from and subsequently decided were beyond repair, so they've been piled up waiting to be turned into kindling, but as I currently have plenty of kindling I might be able to get more use out of them. I've glued a few together and will mess around with them over the next few days to see if it's viable.

James

Have sterilized most of the Abelo poly boxes I bought in a job lot from a retired keeper in my local association.
Used Lawrence Edwards' recommend dunking in Sodium Hypochlorite and water method. My local council recycling bin came in handy.
The difference, after dunking, is remarkable.
Found 2 supers' worth of uncapped honey/nectar. I've put those and a lot of wax moth-affected frames in a spare freezer
I'll have to nadeer the uncapped stores to the 3 colonies I got into the deal, in the spring.

Spent yesterday putting up a pan tilt and zoom CCTV camera up only to find it wouldn't ptz. This morning I got it down and on the bench where it's behaved impeccably. 😞. The cable to its pole is ok so after much application of engineers incantations I discovered the flex at the camera end had an intermittent break inside the insulation. Sorted that but it's turned cold and windy so it can go back up another day.

Have sterilized most of the Abelo poly boxes I bought in a job lot from a retired keeper in my local association.
Used Lawrence Edwards' recommend dunking in Sodium Hypochlorite and water method. My local council recycling bin came in handy.
I hope you didn’t use Lawrence’s recipe for his mixture. It’s about 10 times stronger than recommended by the NBU 😁

Last edited:
I hope you didn’t use Lawrence’s recipe for his mixture. It’s about 10 tinn my Ed stronger than recommended by the NBU 😁
Will certainly have been close to Laurence's strength.
I was more interested in clearing the crud and staining off the boxes, which we're in a state. It did that.

Cut a load of timber up to make a batch of UFEs - some of the older ones I have are starting to to get to the end of their lives (well over ten years old and no tanalized bits)so when I start shuffling floors around in the spring I cam take out the worse ones for repair/cannibalising

Found 2 supers' worth of uncapped honey/nectar. I've put those and a lot of wax moth-affected frames in a spare freezer
I'll have to nadeer the uncapped stores to the 3 colonies I got into the deal, in the spring.
How did you dispose of the mixture after you were done? I can't recall seeing that on the NBU guidance.

Is the WRC seasoned? I get mine from one local to me in Sussex straight from the saw. I have to season it but I think it’s as good as 2nd grade by the time it’s seasoned and sized.
Where was that from Im looking to get 235 mm x 19mm which is 10 x 1 in old money

How did you dispose of the mixture after you were done? I can't recall seeing that on the NBU guidance.
Still got a few more boxes left to clean.
I'm expecting to put it down the drain, a bucket at a time, with the garden hose pointed down there, for encouragement.
Sodium Hypochlorite is marketed as a driveway cleaner. So, the evil stuff is expected to end up directly in the soil - liquid death to anything organic.
71m7iYB43EL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I'm expecting to put it down the drain, a bucket at a time, with the garden hose pointed down there, for encouragement.
Sodium Hypochlorite is marketed as a driveway cleaner. So, the evil stuff is expected to end up directly in the soil - liquid death to anything organic.
View attachment 38019
I'd just sling it on the yard wherever it looked a bit green or mossy. Some things are over hyped

View attachment 38019
Wow. Good to know cheers.

Is over hyped an abbreviation for over-hypochlorited?
Whatever floats your boat.😀 I'm just cynical about having to ask how to dispose of a bleach solution and expecting guidance from an NBU leaflet. We've been soaking old fashioned nappies and removing stains from white laundry for dozens of years without consulting a leaflet for what to do with the water afterwards. Of course, in conjunction with a stiff brush it helps to keep doorsteps clean and avoid slippery algae growth.

Spent some time in the workshop today because the weather just couldn't work out what it was up to. I finished gluing up top bars for my fat dummies yesterday so I've been going through all the scraps of timber and ply etc. that was damaged when the workshop flooded a couple of months back to find bits I can use for the sides and faces. The table saw and cross-cut sled have been getting quite a workout, as has the nail gun.

I have about half a dozen mostly assembled, but I think I may put some insulation inside before finishing them off. I have some scraps lying about that aren't really good for much else and they'll only go to the tip otherwise.

fat-dummy-01.jpg

James

I've just found an entire sheet of hardboard, slightly water-damaged, that my father-in-law has been hiding. No way is he going to use it now, so I'm tempted to pinch it for the faces of my dummies. Just not sure about using it in the hive at the moment, in case the bees decide they can chew on the edges. Perhaps sealing them with PVA (or even painting them with wax) would prevent that...

James

Latest posts

Back