What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do the same put simply attach to a top bar only
I just attached the top bar to some of mine and the little darlings propolised them so badly that as I was levering the dummy frame out the aluminium tape tore leaving the PIR firmly stuck in the hive and the top bar in my hand. I’m going to remake them so they all fit inside a frame now.

Best I order a load more tape before there's a world shortage :D

James
I’ve already got more on order. I ordered two types originally to try, one is not great but the other is really sticky and strong, The bees will have to really be determined to get through it!

Aldi currently sell 25m rolls of Aluminium foil adhesive tape.

I just attached the top bar to some of mine and the little darlings propolised them so badly that as I was levering the dummy frame out the aluminium tape tore leaving the PIR firmly stuck in the hive and the top bar in my hand. I’m going to remake them so they all fit inside a frame now.
If you leave a decent space each side as you would if it were a frame then that doesn’t happen. After all bees don’t propolise the side bars to the side of the hive.
In fact I have a few that are simply a rectangle of PIR with a couple of skewers each side to float them on the runners. No top bar at all.

I often find some side bars on brood frames well propolised to the hive wall on first inspections. Hive 3 on the Oak tree stand loves propolis and will do this throughout the season so I frame all the fat dummies to avoid repairing them. Bee space gets compromised with brace comb and all sorts which is not a problem with a wooden surface and a hive tool.
All I do is cut the insulation to size, tape the edges and jam them into the frame and let the bees glue them in place.

If you leave a decent space each side as you would if it were a frame then that doesn’t happen. After all bees don’t propolise the side bars to the side of the hive.
:iagree: I cannot recall how many hundreds (if not thousands) of hives I've opened over the years (not just my own bees) and I've never come across bees propolising or brace combing the side bars to the hive walls

I've very occasionally had odd bits of brace comb between side bars and hive wall, but not at all often. Possibly when they have been short of space. More often between a dummy board and the hive wall - but that will because the spacing wasn't correct.

The thing with putting insulated board into a frame so that it doesn’t get stuck to the side is that it no longer functions as a division board in the strictest sense. The benefit of using insulation is lost when there's a bee-space around the sides.
The suggestion that I've used us to make the wrapped insulation slightly undersized to width of the box and then stick on something such as strips of the stuff that goes on the foot of table legs to protect hard floors. Then you have a friction fit that should be easy to remove but which keeps draughts to a minimum.

Yes, DM used to say the same and also the space above but I don't use them to insulate as such, just convenient sized boards to reduce the space. 50mm one side and 2 x 25mm the other side. leaves a perfect nine frame space with a little wiggle room.

I made 3 triple hive stands for a friend this morning and dropped them off after lunch. I pottered around seeding some soft set then decided I really should get round to knocking up some of the 20 supers I need to do for a couple of clients. I cleared the workshop and managed to knock 7 up in the hour before dinner. I'll hopefully do the rest tomorrow and start on the frames to fill them.

I made 3 triple hive stands for a friend this morning and dropped them off after lunch. I pottered around seeding some soft set then decided I really should get round to knocking up some of the 20 supers I need to do for a couple of clients. I cleared the workshop and managed to knock 7 up in the hour before dinner. I'll hopefully do the rest tomorrow and start on the frames to fill them.
Would love to see your design for the stand if you're happy to share?

Would love to see your design for the stand if you're happy to share?
No problem, the main beams were 1700x150x20 the main cross beams were 400x150x20. The legs were 50x50x550 set 1000 apart giving a 350 overhang at the ends.
The infill beams were approximately 400x40x20 made from strips of wood I had left over.
All these were glued and screwed together with 50m deck screws.
As you can see it’s nothing special but my friend couldn’t buy a stand 550mm high off the shelf to accommodate her bad back.

Edit - I forgot to say that mine were made from cedar I had lying around but you could get similar sizes of wood from a fencing supplier in tanalised timber.

0092BF0B-2A1F-4586-BC51-AA6BCDE92F49.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back