What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds good ! As mentioned in other posts it will be double jumbo langs for brood and winter stores with one jumbo lang for me .Not using an extractor so just need to melt the wax down , make a few more sheets for the next season and that's me.Rest for candles . Read various sources that about 12lbs per frame is average. I wont extract until end september anyway.Thats the plan anyway

Well...not so much the workshop but the kitchen actually! Just knocked up 60 ltrs of mead. The hydrometer measured it at an SG of 1.080 so that should be around 13% ABV when it's fully brewed out dry. Should take around 10/12 days to ferment out fully and another 2 weeks before it's drinkable (if I can last that long !!).

Yep....Rockingod by name and 'rocket fuel man' by nature. I must admit I do enjoy a glass (or 2....or is that 3?:):):)). I have fermented some earlier brews to 17% ABV but I find that they are usually a bit too strong and dry for my delicate palette :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. I also do a really mean vine leaf wine when the vines are starting to drop their leaves in Sept/Oct.

Painting three new BB's I found in the bee barn with a first coat. 2nd coat tomorrow then the furniture, frame guides and handles so ready by Wed.

Looked at the trail cam footage to see what was crapping all over my kit stored in the barn. Found it was birds not Bats.

Whilst I was there, I also did a stock check of kit, have a definitive list now to progress. I need roof's badly??????

Does it ever end........

A friend gave me several sheets of Perspex. Made up eight clear crown boards. Found my jigsaw was not that good for cutting it, but was lent a small circular saw and that was great

Had some spare ply sat around after building some nuc boxes last year so decided to make up a few of JBM's demaree board. Looking forward to giving this me this a try this season.

All roofs made and painting starts this week.

I bought 5 poly supers in the Maisies sale on Friday.
They were delivered today. I took them over to the TherapBee workshop to assemble and give them their first coat of paint.
he venue had the added advantage of getting away from SWMBO for a couple of hours

Attachments

• yellow supers 2.jpg
    yellow supers 2.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 22
Love the colour

Love the colour
Yes I chose it carefully. I buy masonry paint from a local Dulux centre where they can mix any one of hundreds of colours. For the TherapBee project we have red, white and blue hives, very patriotic. I have light blue and brick red NUC boxes and their extensions. The poly boxes for these supers are light blue so I thought a bright primrose yellow might complement them. SWMBO does not let me have a say in interior design!!!!!!!

Had to put together 100 SN1's but had nowhere to store them so knocked up a stand that will hold them.

The reward for work well done is more work? :ROFLMAO:

I'm currently using my spare brood box to form the core of an insulated box. Pine timber to provide structure and stability on the top, bottom, and corners, marine plywood for the four outer faces, and a nice slab of 50mm sheep wool for the space in between. Much more expensive for probably the same effectiveness of a high-quality poly hive? Yes. Very satisfying to build something with your own hands and be able to tweak things to your personal preferences? Also yes.

I have been cleaning and repainting poly hive. Transferred 2 small colonies into Nuc boxes and then clean and repaint them. Lucky to do it as I has discovered wax moth larvae under the mesh floor. So its a wash with bleach, clean and repaint. Then replace two more poly hives and repeat. I would advise beekeepers to check the under floors for the wax moth, they may be lurking to decimate a hive when it gets weak.

Attachments

• IMG_20210308_112751.jpg
    IMG_20210308_112751.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210308_112812.jpg
    IMG_20210308_112812.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 34
Back