What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNothing to do with bees finishing up new video cabinet just the drawer to make now fit doors and glass before the frame building season starts

You should have been a Cabinet Maker, or i suppose you were?, lovely Job!!

Made 10 dummy boards from a sheet of plywood I liberated from a skip. Have a look on my blog at https://riddlesdenbees.wordpress.com

They're not dummy boards - dummy frames rather and I don't know what use they'd be as all they do is give an extra double bee space where it's not needed. A dummy board is just a flat piece of ply with the top bar the same width so it sits flush against the spacer of your last frame thus becoming (as far as the bees are concerned) the hive wall. Any more beespace than what is afforded by the spacer on the last frame will just encourage the bees to build brace comb.

They're not dummy boards - dummy frames rather and I don't know what use they'd be as all they do is give an extra double bee space where it's not needed. A dummy board is just a flat piece of ply with the top bar the same width so it sits flush against the spacer of your last frame thus becoming (as far as the bees are concerned) the hive wall. Any more beespace than what is afforded by the spacer on the last frame will just encourage the bees to build brace comb.

I see what you mean, I should have used Dn1 frames not Dn4

national-deep-dummy-board-[2]-2411-p.jpg

there are only two on fleabay at moment who are actually selling the correct thing, all the rest are just frames with a bit of ply or cortex in them
and the ones that are correct there is no way on this earth I would pay there prices.

Made two Eke's (14x12)one for me and one for Obee1, I see no point in making one. Also made another double hive stand.

Not quite sure here, do you mean don't see the point in buying one?

No I made two, cut, planned, rebated and put together. Its just as quick to make two because of the 'set-up' time. I would have made more but didn't have enough wood.

" built" a wooden national in freecad. Today was putting in the combs, floor and the baffle that represents the varroa mesh. Tomorrow should with a bit of luck be putting in " brood" and the "nursing bees" or rather defining the volumes they occupy in the combs and the inter comb gaps.

Finished renovating the new extraction room - new worktop, skirting, a lick of paint and the 15 frame electric extractor takes pride of place :)
Justwired up the new stc1000 controller and testing as I write.

Spent the wet miserable day in the garage working on my new NUC boxes.
3 Completed Hooray!!!!!
2 finished but need aluminium sheeting on the roof.
Then found two partials in the store, oh well the forecast is poor for tomorrow as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back