What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I cut up two old bookcases into planks for four honey supers, and glued them together. Today I painted them and put the strips in. This picture is from before I painted them (so these are the bookcases' colours... blue, green, gold and silver):

fa7neh.jpg

Made a Lang jumbo plus stand plus crownboard plus 10 frames - on and off over the past 3 days..

Just finished making two supers in anticipation, watching F1 now so will have to paint them tomorrow.

Cut up some 3/4" plywood and made three new hive roofs - cut edges sealed and ready to paint.
Made up 22 brood frames with foundation for the association apiary

Do you castellate or butt joint JBM?

Butt joint for plywood - to be honest, it's working kit not a work of art, so no frills - butt jointed glued and screwed then three coats of Wilko Ronseal equivalent (have a friend whose a sheet metal worker which is a bonus) no beading on the inside, none of this vent nonsense (we're the only country which bothers with stuff like that.) and to finish, a sheet of 50mm celotex glued inside

I have spent most of the day cleaning out the bee shed which had got so congested I couldn't move. Some stuff shunted into garden shed. I found two unopened boxes from T horns :redface:

The bees have resolutely been refusing to draw out any of my super frames. These were made up in summer 2012 (very enthusiastic newbie getting prepared) but to date the supers have not been pressed into service.

I tried the syrup sprayed on the foundation last month but still no joy, so have now employed the hot air gun to try and revitalise the foundation. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to see if the bees are happier with them when the brambles start down here - which is pretty soon.

Comparing the pre and post hot air treatment was quite interesting.

Well after moving them three days at a time, I finally got two out of the three hives into my bee shed. All exiting through a two inch diameter piece of plumbing pipe. All seem happy so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have spent most of the day cleaning out the bee shed which had got so congested I couldn't move.

Always the same - every month or two I have to have a tidy up after kit just gets shunted around. Did a bit yesterday actually. sitting in the garden afterwards I could hear a lot of bee activity 'not a swarm!' I thought - no, I have a full BB of capped stores from the winter that I'm using for nuc building etc, in my 'tidy up' I'd dislodged the cover and the bees had found it :eek::willy_nilly: the shed (ten foot square covered ex dog run with three open sides) was a cloud of bees, luckily they'd only been at it for five or ten minutes so strapped it up with a rhombus escape on top. All quiet again today so I painted three new hive roofs

Last edited:
Stuck at work on a slow day yesterday I printed off and laminated a whole raft of hive plans and associated stuff like snelgrove boards, stands and the like and populated them into a nice ring binder. I now have a workshop proof set of drawings that wont have the vital dimension obscured by a coffee cup ring.

drew up a list of materials to build a Hive Barrow, and then proceeded to purchase the bits from a orange DIY store, left in the back of my car, it's tomorrows project.

A while back some posted a link or a drawing of the plans for a national that you can fit on a 8x4 sheet of ply, does anyone have the link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80% finished my hive barrow, a few coats of paint, and I need to more screws and coach bolts and then will be done.

Back