What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finished my Double NUC box from a 14x12 and floor
gives me 2 x 5 frame NUC's the extra with in the divider is to allow 1/2 sized supers or brood boxs to go on top...

I hope you are making half size coverboards.
Things are easier if you don't have to have two different (adjacent) colonies open at the same time.
And for that a wide divider should be helpful.

1/2 sized cover boards are next to make.... roof just needs a bit more paint

looking forward to using it next year..... internet appears to be too slooooow to upload photos...

I am afraid I'm going to suppose that you haven't had a look at the NBU "Fact sheets" on Beebase.
Are you referring to the recommendation to sterilise plastic with washing soda? There was a Finman-including thread on washing soda v causitc soda about 6 weeks ago I think.

"...in the workshop today?" Thinking, mainly. First I got the "How to count to 9 the easy way" gag. :icon_204-2::icon_204-2: Second, I'm not sure about PVC bee-spacers, but we'll see. Thirdly, thinking a bit more about sterilization. There is someone on here who screws up boxes with no glue so they disassemble. Set me thinking that we can let the bees "glue up" beespacers to crownboards etc and they'll then fall apart when the prop is saponified, for much better sterilization. Anyone try this?

Are you referring to the recommendation to sterilise plastic with washing soda?
Wrong, sorry.

The recommendation is to use bleach, although washing soda solution can be used to clean off propolis.

Quote from this fact sheet https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/downloadDocument.cfm?id=494
3. What disinfectants are suitable?
The known efficacy of specific disinfectants acting on pathogens affecting bee colonies is inexact. However it is known that to destroy the spores of American Foul Brood a disinfectant containing a hypochlorite is required. Check the container label for details. Sodium hypochlorite is present at a concentration of about 3% in domestic bleach. Research has shown that immersion for twenty minutes in a solution of 0.5% sodium hypochlorite kills American foulbrood spores and other bacteria. In this case you therefore need to make a solution of one part of household bleach to five parts of water. Before doing so check the container label, as you may need to adjust the ratio. It is essential that bacterial spores are in direct contact with the solution, so any items must be thoroughly clean. After treatment components should be thoroughly rinsed in clean water.

Hopefully the AFB thing is theoretical and I would dispose in that case anyway.

Hopefully it is theoretical, but how would you dispose of a poly hive? You can't burn them, and putting them in with household waste to go to landfill could be irresponsible as it might spread the spores. Better, surely, to make sure the material is properly clean?

The frame iron I engraved out of a inch mild steel block with a dremel , it would have been much easier with a block of copper
The second iron was just a flat plate and welded some letters onto it, I left it all uneven letters to make it original, bespoke
The last one I made some time ago, just a bit of steel pipe and welded a H in the centre, the only trouble with it is that the heat is soon lost without a backing plate

Triple mating nuc

Still making more of hivemakers mating nucs for next year. To save time, materials and roofs! Made a triple, side by side. Two entrances on one side and one on other. One roof does them. Then made another so can be stackable (ie 6) under one roof. Time will tell over drifting etc, but maybe custom paint job will minimise this.
Also solved the feeder problem. When in USA, visited bee farm that used double poly mating nucs with internal feeders. Guys used folded metal mesh in feeders to stop bees drowning. Got some over there in hardware store, back in suitcase, $6 for enough to do 200 feeders - result
Also, found a good alternative to 2mm perspex for inner covers ... 400 micron binding covers, brings unit cost down from £1.35 to 26p and easier to cut to size

Last edited:
Hopefully it is theoretical, but how would you dispose of a poly hive? You can't burn them, and putting them in with household waste to go to landfill could be irresponsible as it might spread the spores. Better, surely, to make sure the material is properly clean?

Clean AND dispose I should say; council tip would take it. Will take it when the time comes.

how would you dispose of a poly hive? You can't burn them, and putting them in with household waste to go to landfill could be irresponsible as it might spread the spores. Better, surely, to make sure the material is properly clean?

Don't get those problems with a nice piece of cedar

Don't get those problems with a nice piece of cedar

Amen, which is why I am building a workshop. But I am learning everything, so wanted to try a poly box to build up a nuc. So far, I have to say, it seems to have worked v well, but the cedar box buildup comes next year. I hope I stick to one as an ICU.

Cut the "Lugs" off 10 P's poly floors with a meat cleaver and glued them into the brood boxes then started the delightful job of painting.

Latest posts

Back