What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut up the piece of 'badly damaged' kingspan i bought from Travis perkins for three quid - I've now got nine 18" square slabs, two for a six frame nuc and four for a five frame nuc Bargin!
Sealed up cut edges of newly constructed nuc ready for painting this evening and suddenly remembered I had a council meeting so postponed until tomorrow. instead instigated a pollinator friendly planting scheme for the flower beds in the village centre - happy days!

Last edited:
Cut up the piece of 'badly damaged' kingspan i bought from Travis perkins for three quid - I've now got nine 18" square slabs, two for a six frame nuc and four for a five frame nuc Bargin!
Sealed up cut edges of newly constructed buc ready for painting this evening and suddenly remembered I had a council meeting so postponed until tomorrow. instead instigated a pollinator friendly planting scheme for the flower beds in the village centre - happy days!

£3 ... now that really is a deal !

You was robbed!

Our local Jewsons has a stack of offcuts and broken things that you can take for free. :D

Yes but a whole sheet with just one 4 inch hole in? (Plus the fact that the lad 'guesstimated' some timber lengths so I probably got three or four yards of various PAR free!)

Yes I was joking because our Parish council is like Vicar of Dibley

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yesterday I put together 2 brood boxes and 5 supers, today I need to make up enough frames to fill them; I know it's a winter time job but after the last couple of years I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever need them.

Finished off the solar wax melter by fixing the insulation round it, painting it black and then trying it out for the first time. Guess what - IT WORKS! Feeling very smug about the whole thing.

Started work on the WBC I picked up at the Tivyside sales this year (Cousin's wife and I walked away with two Big WBC hives for fifty quid - ten lifts, two broods, eight supers, new framed wire QX's two roofs but only one pretty knackered OMF floor. - i got the biggest - six lifts plus the floor, so today I've scraped, blowlamped, sanded the lifts and painted three sides of each of them. SWMBO wanted to paint them with some kind of twee limewash effect (mixing tile grout with the emulsion or some such mullarkey) for a quiet life I said O.K. but obviously without the corect inflexion as off she flounced and came back with two litres of bog standard gloss in a nice subtle shade of magnolia!
I've decided rather than repair the floor which would involve quite a bit of scarfing (and swearing) I am going to build a complete new one and have designed one incorporating my favourite under floor entrance without seriously affecting the traditional WBC look - it should at least stop many bees from getting between the boxes and the lifts.
Not that I Intend keeping bees in it, it is meant to be a garden ornament after all , but you never know.......................:D

Following a recommendation to melt down all the foundation from a DLQ hive, I put together a steam melter using some old hive bits, a cover board I made myself and a steam wallpaper stripper I had from EBay. Worked a treat and a lot less painful than sorting the hive out!

Quietly (because SWMBO was absorbing the sun in the garden) knocked together another brood box (getting a bit low now) and a few dummy boards - I made some a month or so but could I find them today? could I buffalo then I realised they were all in use in the four nucs that had suddenly turned up in the apiary.
Put some foundation in brood frames ready to hive another nuc - so hot today had to put the foundation in the fridge for a while so I could handle it a bit easier!
It was actually cooler in the honey warming cabinet thatn in the shed itself!

Last edited:
Started making a skep, it looks an absolute mess but its my first attempt.

M

Made up the last 5 super frames - in the garden, in the shade, in full bee-suit...Bees not happy as we inspected this morning :( Got a bit warm...Have to buy more from Mai**more's when in Gloucestershire later in the week...

Took three nucs up to the roof of Manchester Cathedral, to hive them tomorrow.

This will take our heavenly apiary to 4 hives.

But multiple trips carrying all this heavy stuff up a narrow winding stone staircase is going to go me a heart attack one day.

Dusty.

Oops! Should be in the, "What did you do in the apiary today?" section.

Latest posts

Back