What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The honey cabinet is up and running - I utilised the hole where the refrigerant tube came through for one of the power cables, drilled a hole for the top one and the drain hole for the thermostat sensor - the STC 1000 unit is fixed to the top outside of the fridge
I have a 60w tubular heater fixed up the top and another one in what was the salad tray,and the heat sensor is half way up on the side - although depending on the temperature distibution after a trial run (two thermometers sat on the shelves now) I may move the one in my bottom up a bit (as the Scottish Cardinal said to the seminarian :eek:) and the sensor is only taped in position at the moment. It takes a while to get up to temperture but it's a nice steady heat with no real hot spots so a bit chuffed really.I'll be using it shortly to prepare my honey for the National honey show at the Royal Welsh.
I also picked up seven galvanised hive roofs and one for a five frame nuc so I fixed three of those this evening as well (I'll have to go down the club tomorrow night now as i owe someone a few pints!.

Made up 3 ThOrnes seconds supers.

Is it only me, or are the instructions they provide, rubbish?

They want you to fix the castellations to the sides, fix the sides into inconsequential grooves, then fix the bracing bars - which pull apart the work you've done already.

I do it the exact opposite: fix the bracing bars to front & back, slip in the sides and fix them in place - then add the castellations.

Takes less than half the time, is a sturdy build all through and means I only need the regulation two hands to do the job.

Dusty

Made up 3 ThOrnes seconds supers.

Is it only me, or are the instructions they provide, rubbish?

They want you to fix the castellations to the sides, fix the sides into inconsequential grooves, then fix the bracing bars - which pull apart the work you've done already.

I do it the exact opposite: fix the bracing bars to front & back, slip in the sides and fix them in place - then add the castellations.

Takes less than half the time, is a sturdy build all through and means I only need the regulation two hands to do the job.

Dusty

You're so right Dusty, we had a session with the new newbees the other week and every experienced beek there agreed that the brace bars first, castellations last is the way to go.

M

I'd better go and look in the scrap cars in the front garden and see if there's an old fridge in one of the boots !

:D go for a spin around the New Forest - there's usually the odd fridge lying around in a layby somewhere :biggrinjester:

That's a real cool honey warming cabinet .

Errm - actually it's a real warm cabinet :rules: made a bit of an oxymoron there! - on a par with police intelligence or happily married :D

Last edited:
:D go for a spin around the New Forest - there's usually the odd fridge lying around in a layby somewhere :biggrinjester:

Errm - actually it's a real warm cabinet :rules: made a bit of an oxymoron there! - on a par with police intelligence or happily married :D

Who you calling a moron ? :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

I built another hive stand too. I think I will need to do at least one more AS this weekend.

At a sale last year I picked up a couple of National wire queen excluders, without frames. I figured they were a bargain at £5 instead of ~£18 for the framed excluder. Well, it was a bargain, but only if you discount the 3+ hours it took me to make a decent wooden frame for it last night!

I'm proud of the result, lovely rebate, flush on one side with bee space on the other, perfect 460mm square. Don't think I'll make another though.

Not today but the other day I assembled two hives for a couple of hives me and a beekeeping buddy are going to manage at Kew Gardens that is if they have enough forage.

Not today but the other day I assembled two hives for a couple of hives me and a beekeeping buddy are going to manage at Kew Gardens that is if they have enough forage.

Kew-ell...

trying to build a solar wax extractor....tried an upturned fish tank, it gets hot enough to scorch grass, 10mm glass, but still not hot enough to melt wax, so moved onto a poly box, got loads (breeding and keeping tropical fish also!), cover in tinfoil inside, 10mm plate glass on top, and today, some melting action, but still not good, so moved onto an old oak drawer from an oak desk which was chopped up in a skip before I got there, cover in tinfoil inside, and I've got two 10mm plate toughend glass slabs ontop....I really need to get a thermometer...any tips here?

Latest posts

Back