Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

BigAshW 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
My wife chops them up for firewood BigAsh.
Wow seems like a waste Hemo. I use them to make floors, crownboards and will also try some roofs this weekend. Much cheaper than buying them.

hemo 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
I use the smaller 40cm or 50cm ones as hive stands once given a couple coats of creosote.
She cuts then up for our open fire so not completely wasted as it keeps us toasty on cold nights.

Hachi 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
Made up all my swarm nucs, serviced swarm kit and made more frames and BB ready for the warm weather ... if it ever arrives.

Kirbygrip 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Made 6 JMB boards and washed some old poly nucs and boxes that I’d rotated out. Hope to paint them up today. Need to make some more frames and sort out my bee shed which somehow gets very messy very quickly.

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Made 6 JMB boards and washed some old poly nucs and boxes that I’d rotated out. Hope to paint them up today. Need to make some more frames and sort out my bee shed which somehow gets very messy very quickly.
I have three containers (the large Keter garden storage units) and a garden shed full of bee kit - it spills out into the garage, the utility room (and I even have some in a cupboard in the study ! - Not that 'er indoors knows about that !!) and I find it almost impossible to keep it tidy as I never have enough room and you always need something you had not expected that is below or behind everything else .. I max out at about 10 hives but the amount of kit needed for even a couple of hives will fill a small shed ...

I would love to have a proper bee room divided into storage and processing .... racked out an in some semblance of order ... and BIG enough ... it's on my wish list for when we finally move out of our present home. I think the bee room needs to be bigger than the house ....

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
I have three containers (the large Keter garden storage units) and a garden shed full of bee kit - it spills out into the garage, the utility room (and I even have some in a cupboard in the study ! - Not that 'er indoors knows about that !!) and I find it almost impossible to keep it tidy as I never have enough room and you always need something you had not expected that is below or behind everything else .. I max out at about 10 hives but the amount of kit needed for even a couple of hives will fill a small shed ...

I would love to have a proper bee room divided into storage and processing .... racked out an in some semblance of order ... and BIG enough ... it's on my wish list for when we finally move out of our present home. I think the bee room needs to be bigger than the house ....
You have not mentioned an extractor, dry room for extraction, warm storage for honey etc..

Perhaps we should contact your family and ask them to do a stock take? :eek:

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
You have not mentioned an extractor, dry room for extraction, warm storage for honey etc..

Yes ... currently two extractors until I sell one ... plus a burco boiler, two hob electric stove, solar wax extractor, warming cabinet and all the other stuff you seem to accumulate....perhaps I'm better off without it all being in one place ... if they could see it all together I would be deep in the smelly stuff !

drex 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
At my allotment apiary I have four sheds for bee stuff and half of a 20 foot lean to. Still cannot move in my box/frame storage sheds. Keeps home clear and the other half happy. I have converted the summerhouse to my extraction room.

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 25 that I maintain for clients.
Made this. First customer arrived within minutes of fixing it in place.
I'm not letting the missus see that or she'll want me to make one now! 😂

OldFarm 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
A friend is doing major renovations and asked if I would like the floor boards that are being ripped out. Oooh yes. Now have a nice stack of board ripped to 100mm width, thinking floors and ekes. Also a rather large stack of timber 10mm thick and 5 3/4" wide (ok, mixing money here) and wondering what to do with it. Far too
good for kindling. Suggestions?

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
A friend is doing major renovations and asked if I would like the floor boards that are being ripped out. Oooh yes. Now have a nice stack of board ripped to 100mm width, thinking floors and ekes. Also a rather large stack of timber 10mm thick and 5 3/4" wide (ok, mixing money here) and wondering what to do with it. Far too
I use 10mm timber planks to make floors and roofs for mating nucs - which are kept on poles in the garden. (The roof to keep the sun off and prevent absconding)

The Poot 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
How deep is it please?
It’s a chunk about 7inches thick. The holes are around 5-6 inches deep. (As deep as the auger bits could cut).

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
OldFarm. As per madasafish
Yep...lots of mating nucs there. Join the boards along their length with some external PVA, and make the walls too.

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Oh... you can make ANYTHING out of old floorboards ... it's usually well seasoned pine and it comes up like new if you sand it. Don't ever think of burning it ... bird boxes, hedgehog hide, owl boxes, chicken coops, plant troughs, picture frames, or just turn it into artwork and sell it on Etse or Not on the High Street - you name it - you could make it.

The inner skin of my Long deep hive was floorboards out of a Victorian terrace house in Sheffield - lovely bits of timber.

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
Prepped extra brood boxes for demaree and cleaned 15 poly nucs..
Need to make 4 demaree boards, I'm going all out on demaree this season, I've done one already.
That was yesterday, today I've checked 14 colonys put one on double brood 13 others have a super above ready.
Work shop: made 50 odd super frames this afternoon more on Monday after more bees closer to home over the weekend..
Now breath:love:o_O

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Prepped extra brood boxes for demaree and cleaned 15 poly nucs..
Need to make 4 demaree boards, I'm going all out on demaree this season, I've done one already.
That was yesterday, today I've checked 14 colonys put one on double brood 13 others have a super above ready.
Work shop: made 50 odd super frames this afternoon more on Monday after more bees closer to home over the weekend..
Now breath:love:o_O
Well done Curly. I'm with you on your venture and very interested on how you get on with the demarees. If you need more inspiration on your expansion venture, check out the hard work of this young bloke in NZ. He's up to 4000 hives now I think. Brilliant.

Last edited:

elainemary 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives

Plus a nice warm room for Microscopy and all related kit. Oh and a separate room for wax processing, candle dipping and beeswax wrap making, so it doesn’t get splattered on the kitchen floor.

The Poot 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Well done Curly. I'm with you on your venture and very interested on how you get on with the demarees. If you need more inspiration on your expansion venture, check out the hard work of this young bloke in NZ. He's up to 4000 hives now I think. Brilliant.

That’s quite a story - 4000 hives within 10 years - amazing!

Latest posts