What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

understanding_bees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
I bought some stuff in the sale, enough to make up two nationals with supers, for my first hives, and I was wondering if small splits and cracks should be filled, and if so what with? Is normal wood filler ok for bees?
I have found that acrylic gap filler, which is available in cartridges at hardware stores, works very well at filling gaps, especially small ones. It is easy to squeeze filler into small gaps or holes, it adheres very well to many different types of surface (eg. wood, metal, polyurethane, etc), and the bees do not chew it. It is easy to smooth the filled surface with a spatula or even your finger, and to clean up any excess material with a moist cloth before the filler starts to cure.

rolande 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Wedmore - didn't he start the matchsticks under the crownboard nonsense?🤔
No,that was simmins, wasn't it, possibly reporting that Cowan had used such an idea on hives housed in an attic....cant remember his full quote, but definitely before Wedmore.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
No,that was simmins, wasn't it, possibly reporting that Cowan had used such an idea on hives housed in an attic....cant remember his full quote, but definitely before Wedmore.
but it was Wedmore who really pushed it with his his little booklet of pseudo scientific twaddle 'on the ventilation of beehives'

Karol 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Nice job - Does the job and I like recycling and repurposing. Some pallets I picked up last year that had come in from the Far East with engineering components on them appeared to be made from Eucalyptus ... looks a lot like Mahogany and is very weatherproof. I assume it was not quite furniture grade but I've been using it for other outdoor projects ...
Eucalyptus supposedly has wasp repellant properties. Don't know if it affects bees.

Seen a lot of nasty chemicals spilled on pallets. Maybe its just the industry I work in.

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Eucalyptus supposedly has wasp repellant properties. Don't know if it affects bees.

Seen a lot of nasty chemicals spilled on pallets. Maybe its just the industry I work in.
I know two wild honeybee colonies that have been living in hollows in eucalyptus trees for years near me. It's primarily the leaves that have the oils. I think the wood in the pallet that Pargyle had is probably not a eucalyptus but more likely this one...

pargyle 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I know two wild honeybee colonies that have been living in hollows in eucalyptus trees for years near me. It's primarily the leaves that have the oils. I think the wood in the pallet that Pargyle had is probably not a eucalyptus but more likely this one...
Yes you could be right ... I had garden furniture that was made from Eucalyptus (a lot of garden furniture that looks like mahogany is actually made from eucalyptus - it weathers well and whilst not as durable as teak is reasonably long lasting). I was comparing the appearance of the garden furniture I had with the planed surface of the pallets I had .... looked very similar but ... as I said .. you could be right. Although Intsia bijuga (Scrub Mahogany) is a threatened species (so I would hope not) whereas Eucalyptus is a weed ...

Last edited:

Kirbygrip 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Made a bucket to fit on top of an extending pole in case I get a swarm that is on a branch that's too high to reach. I don't do ladders any more!

BugsInABox 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Sonotube bait hive.
Rough job really.
Entrance is SSE.
Gets afternoon sun.
Wall bracket needed - can’t decide.
🤞

Attachments

Lizbee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I love the idea of a bucket on a pole - did you actually use it to catch a swarm? I can't do ladders either and this sounds like a plan...

Apiarisnt 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I love the idea of a bucket on a pole - did you actually use it to catch a swarm? I can't do ladders either and this sounds like a plan...
“The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.”

Taylor Swarm catcher.jpg

E H Taylor catalogue 1932/33

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
I used a bucket on a pole 15' up a ladder last year! it was a bit hairy!!!!!:eek:

frankenstine 

New Bee
Reaction score
Just been putting frames together tho the job made itself more complex as simple jobs allways do.

1st off the air compressor decided to become a fuse tester, the after an hour looking for 3/4 tacks I gave up not even opened the box.

But After some cobbling nail gun back in play, the lightweight gas line on it is defiantly staying no matter what tho. So much nicer to use without a workshop line and pcl’s hanging off it

Attachments

Latest posts